VNC acting like windows key is stuck

Force Flow

n00b
I am wondering if there is a way to release the windows key once it gets "stuck" duing a VNC session. It's very problematic when trying to type with all the winodows key combinations getting in the way, such as windows+e, windows+r, windows+l, etc

The only solution I can think of is to reboot the machine. However, in this case I want to avoid doing that since there is a BIOS password on the machine and I would not be able to access it at all if it is rebooted.

The VNC server is enabled as a service, so logging on and logging off poses no problem...it just does not fix the problem where the windows key appears to be held down virtually.

Any suggestions?

I already checked realvnc.com

They other link doesn't really pertain to the problem...it shows how to add code to add windows key events.

The problem isn't *using* windows key events, the problem is that something gets stuck in the software and it's almost as if the windows key is being held down. The only cure I've been able to find so far is to reboot the machine.

Any other ideas?

If it is a shared VNC session (you see and control the same screen that the local user of the computer sees), do you think it could possibly be a keyboard problem on that end? Such as the windows keys is physically stuck on the keyboard of the remote machine, or keyboard is malfunctioning somehow?

Nope, it's not shared and restarting the client does not solve the issue. Is there a way to restart the server service remotely?

No, it is not a physical problem with the hardware. The problem only occurs when I'm jumping around between a good number of program and folder windows and using keyboard shortcuts. The client appears to lock up for a few seconds, then I get the problem with windows key.

That is what I meant, restarting the server service. Open up Computer Management on a client PC, right click "Computer Management (Local)" and choose "connect to another computer". Enter in name of server, then browse down the services list until you find VNC. At that point you can start/stop the service remotely.

Yes, but once I stop the service, I'll no longer be able to access the computer via VNC until I actually physically sit down in front of that computer and enable it again.

http://www.securitysoftware.cc/apps.html (freeware)

last one scroll down

Sustain - I had problems with a system service self terminating at random. I wrote this program to monitor and restart it when it died. Through command line parameters you can have it check for any program at any interval and run any program when not found. (Did that make sense?)

Force Flow said:
Yes, but once I stop the service, I'll no longer be able to access the computer via VNC until I actually physically sit down in front of that computer and enable it again.

You did not read what I said. You perform all of the above from a client PC not using VNC. Open up Computer Management on the CLIENT PC and choose connect to another computer. This does not use VNC and will allow you to start/stop the service remotely. Unless of course the server or client are running operating systems other than Windows 2000, XP, or 2003. Then by above method will not help you.

Back