VMworld 2011 roll call...

I know Jason is here at vmworld.

Lopoetve did you make it?

Anyone else?

Should try to meet up sometime tonight during the party.

Did not - I was sent last year :) Some of my coworkers are there though, including the guys that did the storage best practices slides :)

I was at Jason's talk about the 1kv today, one of the clearest and least full of bullshit sessions I've been to all week.

I was at Jason's talk about the 1kv today, one of the clearest and least full of bullshit sessions I've been to all week.

Thank you. Next time introduce yourself! :)

Also, if you haven't, please do a survey. Those matter. Sorry I was running short on time. I wish they'd give me 2 hours.

The party last night was crazy, VMware pulled out all the stops it seems to throw a great event.

Except for the 30 minute walk between the hall and the pool

Yeah...I was really excited to see The Killers and then missed them. :) But I can't complain. I was invited to dinner with some guys from the tech marketing/engineering/release teams for the Nexus 1000v. Was one of the best dinner conversations I've had in a long time. You don't turn down an invite like that!

Sitting in the blogger lounge.

We left around 2PM after the disappointing session on the Core Lab Infrastructure.

Got back to Tampa around 2am this morning. Looking forward to next year in San Francisco.

another great year, the day 2 Steve Herrod keynote was impressive.
i enjoyed how they handled breakout session attendance, no more lines > missing a couple full sessions i missed out on but can download the video later.

hated the Wednesday night party, far too many people packed in that hall and the sound was just awful. luckily, the large mass of people waiting in line at the first bar meant nobody realized there was more than one :)
lastly, continental breakfasts suck. lunches were fantastic otherwise.

looking forward to VMworld 2012, but wish they would pick a different city.

Even though I wasn't there, I did get the opportunity to watch the keynotes and Steve Herrod's Keynote blew me away, especially the demos of Appblast, Project Horizon, and Octopus. Just unbelievable technology that's right around the corner.

They definately hit the nail on the head by lthinking about the end-user and not the mangement of individual devices. That is not just forward thinking, it's here now, and VMware understands and embraces that instead of pushing back and looking at it from the "old way" perspective.

They really have their act together. I'm hearing that the Labs will be available remotely next year..if so, I can't wait. Hopefully, i'll be working for a different employer to get the opportunity to actually go there though. I want to at least, experience EMC World and VMword one time in person.

Chad Sakac's blog has some great info on some current and up and coming products like View 5, and vBlock fast path..and a whole bunch more!

It's certainly a great time to be working with VMware products...no it's not a sales pitch...lol

Last edited:
Did anybody get a Commvault USB "drive" ??

I, among others, did a "quick grab" and got like 6 or 7 of 'em, only to find out they're FAKE! There's no memory in them, just a dang script that opens a Commvault webpage. Argh. Bad marketing Commvault!

Good show overall, just too mnay dang people. I heard 22,000 were there. I personally thought the Wednesday night show was lacking, but then, I'm not a Killers fan. Good times in and out of the conv. ctr. :)

I just got the email about the event in Reston, VA on 10/6. I would like to go but I'm not sure what to expect.

I'm heading to an event in Albany next week. As close as i'm going to get to VMworld vLabs..etc. Wish me luck..interviewing for a job with EMC while i'm there!

Technical Sales Consultant. I'm really just trying to get my foot in the door and go from there. I am absolutely going backwards if I stay where I am and i'm not getting any visibility into not just the newer products, but some of the current tried and true products as well.

I'm interviewing at VAR's but Upstate, NY location is hurting me because growth is a bit slower here and positions open and get filled quickly. My goal was to get into a VAR for a year, then move to EMC, Cisco, etc...but i'm having better luck with Companies like Dell, EMC..etc for interviews at this point.

On top of that, while the company I work for as a whole embraces the newer technology, i'm in the wrong place for it. For instance, we are the largest EMC client for Data Domain, huge Vblock infrastructure, etc. Our ITO division is working with the latest SAN and Virtualization tech such as VPLEX GEO and all the latest VMware products including SRM.etc. All of this is located at different locales. I have had opportunity to move to these areas but i'm leaving for more than just the above reasons.

Last edited:
Awesome day of VMworld labs but only an hour away. Even better, very good EMC interview..my next will be in mid October!

Back