VmWare vmc file

Icestation

Weaksauce
Can someone build me a vm config file to boot from CD using workstation 8, just a standard windows box 2gb ram 2 cpu 30gb harddrive so i can boot my own windows cd for testing stuff.

I have looked at the online builders and they are all for the older vm versions and dont support a few things I would like to try and play around with.

Thanks

Of if you know of another place to build one let me know

Do you not have Workstation 8? This is pretty straight forward to do... There is a wizard and everything

No I dont not anymore

Had access to workstation 6 at my old job years ago but not anymore, so i just have VM player at home, dont want to pay for workstation 8 just for home playing around.

thanks but not a fan of windows virtual pc, vmplayer is just leaps and bounds performance wise ahead of it. And I have a bunch of old VM's that I use the free VM player for. So would like to use that.

Correct me if I am wrong but there is no liscensing issue here. Because anyone can register and get VM player for free and download all the free VM's. the only issue is if you want to create a windows VM you must have workstation or server to create the Config file.
Or there are free vm creators online just they are for older versions of VM.
www.easyvmx.com does it but the files it creates are for workstation 6 and does not support the new features.

If it is a liscensing issue then please disregard looks like I will have to use virtual PC which makes me sad.

No I dont not anymore

Had access to workstation 6 at my old job years ago but not anymore, so i just have VM player at home, dont want to pay for workstation 8 just for home playing around.

Gotcha, I want to double check the licensing stuff first but if it all checks out I'll throw one together for you.

yeah I am not trying to do anything without proper licensing, at least I dont believe I am, If I am please let me know.

and thanks for looking into it feverlax

just to clerify I dont want windows installed I will do that with my own cd and key, just want the bootable config file for vmplayer.

yeah I linked that before problem with that site is it builds a VM workstation 6 file that doesnt support a lot of the new features

Out of curiosity, why can't you use latest free VMware Player to create the VM? It does that now. I toy around with it all the time and the VM's it creates seem pretty good and fast, and under version it says they are workstation version 8 machines. Are you stuck with an old version of Player or something?

Last edited:
holy crap so the version i had didnt have the option to create, thank you jthomas! I guess its been a while since I updated vm player.

Close thread, VM player 4.0.2 build-591240 has the ability to create windows vm's

Out of curiosity, why can't you use latest free VMware Player to create the VM? It does that now. I toy around with it all the time and the VM's it creates seem pretty good and fast, and under version it says they are workstation version 8 machines. Are you stuck with an old version of Player or something?

then why would anyone want to use vmware work station?

The only thing i could c is additional networking options.

then why would anyone want to use vmware work station?

The only thing i could c is additional networking options.

Workstation has all sorts of extra stuff not available in Player, like snapshots, clones, teams, ESXi management, etc.

Back