VMware View & Teradici VDIs -- do dual monitors really use two licenses for all SW?

Cerulean

[H]F Junkie
Greetings,

This morning I looked at a ticket from a user requesting a second monitor for a small handful of people and the message one of my co-workers sent caught my attention. I asked my co-worker about it and he said this is what Mr. IT Supervisor and Mr. IT Manager told him. Here is a part of the message my co-worker wrote:

We have discovered that the VM system detects two monitors and applies all the licenses for an additional user when two monitors are used. That means that like <ERP software> with multiple sessions, the virtual machine uses two Microsoft licenses, two Adobe [Acrobat] licenses and that is monitored by our hosting site and they charge accordingly. We are revisiting the dual monitor policy.

Can someone tell me if such a thing is possible? Is there a VMware article I could be linked to and read? :eek: :confused:

Thats the weirdest thing I've ever heard.

We, too, use VMWare Client and VMWare VDI systems, but it doesn't use multiple licenses when only one copy of the software is open. We have dozens of users with multiple monitors that use the ERP software every day.

The only time I've seen multiple licenses in use is when one person has two separate copies of the ERP software open, one on each monitor.

There's no way that it would happen that way unless it's conecting to two vdi sessions for some odd reason, I'm not sure how that would happen though.

Is the Pool configured to support dual monitors?

Yes, pools allow maximum of two monitors 1920x1200 per monitor.

sounds like BS to me. someone doesn't want to provide dual monitors.

No, that is not true. Only one license is used. Mr. IT Supervisor and Mr. IT Manager have no business being in their positions.

Back