VMware to Hyper-V lingo

cyr0n_k0r

Supreme [H]ardness
Long story short I'm going to do a quasi interview and they have asked me a lot of VMware questions (easy enough) but I don't know the answers to because I'm a Hyper-V person. It's mostly lingo.

For example, they asked me what VMotion was and I didn't know. But as soon as they said it deals with moving a VM to another node while it's on I said "oh, you mean like 'live migration'"?

So I know virtualization, I just am not familiar with the VMware lingo. Can anyone provide some easily convertible terms so when they are talking VMware specific things I at least know what 'type' of technology they are talking about.
IE:
vmotion = live migration

They eased up on quizzing me specific to what acronyms stand for.
I told them up front it has been a few years since I played with VMWare since I'm a Hyper-V guy. And even when I messed with it, I only used standalone hosts. So all the HA for ESX I'm not familiar with, but that I can pick it up pretty quick.

I'll hear from them next week if I'm going to meet the owner for a second interview.

You can take the basic VMWare courses online for free. All of the VMWare associate level certs have free online training and it will cover all of their terms. Not very long.

Back