• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

vmware questions on ubuntu

romeoagogo

Limp Gawd
Joined
Aug 25, 2004
Messages
159
Hi, I want to setup an older PC I have (XP 2400+, 1gig PC2700) as a server type box for all my media. I want to run ubuntu on it because its easy to setup and offers more options for server-y things later. My big problem however is that I also want this server to be able to stream movies to my xbox360. The only way I can see doing that is by using WinXP on VMWare and wmp11 to stream. So my questions are these -

1) Will encoding performance suffer using a VM? I encode all my videoa to WMV once they are downloaded using WMEncoder 9 and then stream them with WMP11.

2) Is file access between Ubuntu and the XP VM easy? Meaning can I setup a partition for all my media files and access them from both Ubuntu and the VM?

3) Will the VM be able to stream content without any hiccups? Will it maintain a decent speed?

4) Do you think this will work and is worth doing to keep my "server" running linux?

Thanks
 
1) Will encoding performance suffer using a VM? I encode all my videoa to WMV once they are downloaded using WMEncoder 9 and then stream them with WMP11.
In general, yes, VMWare provides excellent CPU performance.

2) Is file access between Ubuntu and the XP VM easy? Meaning can I setup a partition for all my media files and access them from both Ubuntu and the VM?
See Samba. Not any more difficult than accessing files remotely with any other OS.

3) Will the VM be able to stream content without any hiccups? Will it maintain a decent speed?
Probably... The biggest bottleneck in VM performance (or any system, really) is not giving it enough RAM.

4) Do you think this will work and is worth doing to keep my "server" running linux?
My answer is obivously going to be biased, but yes.
 
Back
Top