Vmware OVF export

Nicklebon

Gawd
I am currently trying to export a VM off an ancient Dell 2900 standalone ESXi box as an OVF. It has been running for over 12 hours and has 3400 minutes estimated remaining. The Dell is not being taxed nor the network nor the destination device. WTF? Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

The VM is about 800GB in size. It sits on a directly attached raid 5 array connected to a perc6 controller. This has nothing to do with the storage as the primary use the VM was a that of a file server. As a VM it was limited by the nic. Using OVF export I am seeing speeds of less than 5Mbps (mega BITS per second) on the transfer, which is still going and now at around the 50% mark.

Bloody thing just finished. There has got to be a better way on stand alone boxes.

If you were using OVFtool, it has been known that many users experience slow transfers. It's all over VMware forums, especially those running ESXi 5.0 and older. If you use the vSphere client GUI, it is supposed to be much faster. I've always used the vSphere client and it's blazing fast for me. I just migrated a few VM's at work and one at home over Gig-E, saturating the network link.

Back