VMWare + Matrox G200ew [Sluggish]

VenomousDesigns

Limp Gawd
Currently have a Supermicro X8SIA-F in my File Server at home, everything works fantastically but when running either VMWare or Virtualbox its noticeably 'sluggish' - I'm assuming this is due to only have on-board Matrox G200eW 16MB DDR2, but figured I would ask the Gurus if they had any expierence with improving things.

I would like to keep my File Server as just that, I don't want to pop a ATI 5570 if I don't have too.

Specifications:

CPU: Intel Quad-Core Xeon X3440
MB: Supermicro X8SIA-F
RAM: Kingston KVR1333D3E9SK2/4G ECC
PSU: Corsair AX-850
Controller: SuperMicro AOC-USAS2-L8e
Misc: HP SAS Expander
Case: Norco 4224

Any thoughts and suggestions would be fantastic!

VD

I have this on a few Dell servers and my esxi box too

How hard is it for companies to use an integrated 128/256 Meg crappy radeon integrated chip like they used too the matrox just sucks even for a server console

I have several servers here at work with that card. (Supermicro boards) and while I don't spend oodles of time at the console I've never noticed any sluggishness.

What guest OS? In Windows 2008 and 2008 R2 the console will be sluggish unless you manually select the "VMware SVGA 3D" driver through Device Manager. It's a bug that still hasn't been fixed with VMware Tools.

What guest OS? In Windows 2008 and 2008 R2 the console will be sluggish unless you manually select the "VMware SVGA 3D" driver through Device Manager. It's a bug that still hasn't been fixed with VMware Tools.

Oh wow - you might be a lifesaver! I do indeed have W2K8 R2 as Host, will try as soon as I get home tonight - this is through the Control Panel > Device Manager, or meaning within VMWare when selecting Hardware for each Guest OS?

Cheers,
VD

Oh wow - you might be a lifesaver! I do indeed have W2K8 R2 as Host, will try as soon as I get home tonight - this is through the Control Panel > Device Manager, or meaning within VMWare when selecting Hardware for each Guest OS?

Cheers,
VD

I'm talking about Windows 2008 as a guest.

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I've had some time (and saved up a bit of $) to look at some options in regards to updating my F&P Server at home. This seems to still be a major concern of mine, however looking on the Supermicro website, there hasn't been a great load of updates to the 1156 selection of boards (in regards to upgrading of Internal GFX or additional PCI-E ports for a possible external GFX card - there is simply no room with SAS Expander etc).

Any thoughts on how to improve performance or am I simply asking for too much?

<snaipped>
Any thoughts on how to improve performance or am I simply asking for too much?

Looking at this old thread .... were you running VMware Workstation??
I had that same Matrox integrated video on a Dell Poweredge T110 and
it was never sluggish when used with a type 1 hypervisor (ESXi / XenServer).
Of course those use text based consoles.

It absolutely sucked GUI wise when running Windows directly.
That GPU was meant for simple function only - not performance.

I don't think you are asking too much ... but if you plan to use a server as a desktop,
It is likely you will want an add-in video card.

The other option is to use a desktop as a server and run type 2 hypervisors.

Back