VMware Experts - Have we tested this yet?

Thank you for the heads up on this, This is huge if it will allow me to use VMware in Vista 64.

(I tried till my fingers bled to make that work)

Thank you for the heads up on this, This is huge if it will allow me to use VMware in Vista 64.

(I tried till my fingers bled to make that work)

I have Vmserver running in x64 Vista Home Premium, but I hate having to hit F8 each boot.

I am going to see If i can get this to work, but will need other to help confirm the results.

I can help out a bit this weekend off and on if I am needed.

what distro of Linux are you using, if you dont mind me asking.
just so we are on the same page when we get to testing.

I knew about that but since I restart very very rarely, hitting F8 is not a biggie myself. Anyway, only 2 of my boxens have Vista x64, the rest is either WHS or XP SP3.

Try that and let us know how it works but from reading the notes myself, I'm not sure about that.

So what is the specific file we need to have "signed" to use VMWare Server in Vista x64?

So what is the specific file we need to have "signed" to use VMWare Server in Vista x64?

It's the virtual network drivers which need to be signed for VMWare to be able to use. Otherwise, it will only run in Remote mode.

It's the virtual network drivers which need to be signed for VMWare to be able to use. Otherwise, it will only run in Remote mode.

I'm more than willing to admit I am a dumbass :)

What are the file names as I wouldn't know a driver file from an exe file (well I can tell what an exe file is, but don't know about half of the other files that are needed to run).

I have Vmserver running in x64 Vista Home Premium, but I hate having to hit F8 each boot.

You can disable driver signing checks completely by just firing up an administrator command prompt and putting in...

bcdedit /set loadoptions DDISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS

You can disable driver signing checks completely by just firing up an administrator command prompt and putting in...

bcdedit /set loadoptions DDISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS

I thought that is fixed in the latest patches so it doesn't work ?

I thought that is fixed in the latest patches so it doesn't work ?

I never had any luck with it, might have been a update in windows that killed it or my string of bad luck with computers in general lately.

edit. Ill give it another go.

Im not an expert but I thought Id throw this in, on the old VMware server 1.06, I took about 2-3 minute hit per frame, on the new Server 2.0 its 30seconds or less.

Im not an expert but I thought Id throw this in, on the old VMware server 1.06, I took about 2-3 minute hit per frame, on the new Server 2.0 its 30seconds or less.

I did not even notice that 2.0 was in beta .. have to give it a wirl!

I've finally worked out how to get my VM's to start when the computer get turned on.

Before you start the VM.
Go VM -> Setting -> Options -> Startup/Shutdown.
In the top box change it to "Local system accont".
In the bottom box change "On host startup" to "Power on Vitual Machine".
Now when you reboot, the VM should start without you starting the Console.

Luck ............. :D

I've finally worked out how to get my VM's to start when the computer get turned on.

Before you start the VM.
Go VM -> Setting -> Options -> Startup/Shutdown.
In the top box change it to "Local system accont".
In the bottom box change "On host startup" to "Power on Vitual Machine".
Now when you reboot, the VM should start without you starting the Console.

Luck ............. :D

Thanks, I'll try that now :)

Starting the Vm's on the 2.0 is real easy, its in the GUI, Check box I think?

Can we upgrade from older 1.x versions or does v2.0 require a clean install? Also, can previous VM installations be easily transferable to the new version? TIA

it will uninstall the old one, and yes the vm's you have will work fine. Its web based so it looks a lil different.

UPDATE I had Rc1 and just updated to rc2 which is out there now and the old VM'S didnt start Sorry

I dont know why but a second reboot install reboot, reboot they started. My old boss used to tell customers solar flares cause that stuff LMAO

I tried tigerbiten's method and it didn't work very well for me . After a restart, only 1 VM started fine so I disabled them and restarted them but ppd is cut in half. I guess the instances was hidden and a restart fixed that.

Additionnally, if the VM is started that way, I cannot adjust the core affinity since I don't have permission even if I'm admin !

No in 2.0 no affinity setting, but on one of the tabs I noticed on RC2 logging is enabled,I no from past use of vmware logging enabled slows it way down, turn off logging. It wasnt enabled on the RC1 I was running. Also I believe all points are down a bit as lastweek I got all A2 cores on my Vm installs and now Im getting 5101

Im gonna throw this in, last year I found on my boxes that my highest OC didnt turn into the most points, I was running along at 8000PPD with my boxes @2.8, I was trying to catch the guy ahead of me, I thought at 3.0 I might catch him so I pushed them to 3.0, none of them crashed, but after a couple weeks I was @6000PPD, I figured out that@ 3.0 they ran 2605 or 2604 alot faster, but I also got alot more 2608,2609,2610, and my machines didnt like them,so I clocked them back 2 2.8 and still got Wu's my machines didnt like. So I deleted all my,Client installs and made new ones and Bam in a couple weeks I was back 2 8000PPD.Not getting 2608.2609, and 2610 I do run AMD so on Intel the lines maybe somewhere else or there might not be one.Iam in the top 400 folders in the world and I dont have an Intel in my house. LOL

Back