VMUG Advantage EVALExperience

OSUmaxx

n00b
VMUG Advantage EVALExperience

I know lots of people have looked for the return of a program like this so I just wanted to post a link. 365 day licenses (non-prod) for the following products are now available with a VMUG Advantage subscription. Just happened across this today and didn't see it posted anywhere.

VMware vCenter Server™ 5 Standalone for vSphere 5
VMware vSphere® with Operations Management™ Enterprise Plus
VMware vCloud Suite® Standard
VMware vRealize™ Operations Insight™
VMware vRealize Operations™ 6 Enterprise
VMware vRealize Log Insight™
VMware vRealize Operations for Horizon®
VMware Horizon® Advanced Edition
VMware Virtual SAN™.

I just saw that too. I was already thinking of joining the VMUG Advantage but this may just seal the deal.

I just saw that too. I was already thinking of joining the VMUG Advantage but this may just seal the deal.

Same here. Been a VMUG member for quite a while but this definitely gave me the incentive to join Advantage.

Crap... i thought that was a phishing email ...didn't recognize the domains.
If i can get access to all that stuff, I am in too.

Yeah, if this is "legit", count me in for sure. Pursuing my VCP5 this year, and really want some of this stuff in my home lab so I can "play" with it more than I can at work. Thank you for posting it!

I have a question. After you buy it, how do you access the software and licenses?

It's legit. We've been pushing VMware to get a VMTN replacement out for years. I'm okay with this combination.

KapsZ28

You check out the software, and it gives you a key, and shows you how to download it.

moto316

2 CPU's.

KapsZ28

You check out the software, and it gives you a key, and shows you how to download it.

moto316

2 CPU's.

Yeah, but where do you check out the software from? When I am logged into the VMUG website, I don't see anything for software. The items listed under My Options are; My Profile, My Shopping Cart, My Subscriptions, My Page, My Media Library, My Calendar, My Badges.

I don't see software listed under any of them, unless it takes time for the subscription to be processed.

Holy moly! NJ makes a post! :D (Puts on the flame suit.)

Kaps:
It may take some time for it to process. However, this may help you out.

To download or re-download previously ordered software:

1. Sign in to your WebStore (if you are not signed in already).

2. Click the Your Account/Orders link at the top of the page.

3. In the Order History section, click the View Details button next to the order you wish to download. The Order Receipt page is displayed.

4. Click the Start Download button. You are directed to the Download Instructions page.
Note If you already have the Secure Download Manager (SDM) installed on your computer from a previous order, skip to step 7.

5. Click the Download SDM button to download the SDM, a free program that will allow you to download your order.

6. Install the SDM once it has finished downloading (double-click the file in your Downloads folder).

7. Click the Download .SDX button on the Download Instructions page to download your order package.
Note Your order package is a small file in .SDX format that is read by the SDM to download your order. If the SDM does not open automatically when the .SDX has finished downloading, double-click the .SDX in your Downloads folder to launch it manually.

When the SDM opens, click the Start Download button next to each software title that you wish to download.

Yeah, I guess I need to wait. I didn't know they were different websites. I was still logged into vmug.com. I google vmug website and found the URL for the VMUG Advantage, but don't have an account there yet.

Hmmm... You get 16 CPUs of VSAN and 2 CPUs of vSphere? This makes no sense. You can't do VSAN on 2 hosts.... What am I missing?

VMUG is looking in to the licensing stuff. Think something is off.

I just entered my license key into my server and it is definitely just 2 CPUs for the "vSphere with Operations Management Enterprise Plus". I haven't checked anything else yet.

still waiting on my activation email from Kivuto. Excited that VMware is doing this, will make home labs much easier now.

I'd be disappointed if it wasn't at six sockets (3x2).

Though, if you have a yearly license for one host, you could at least keep your vCenter and "primary" host live for a year and rebuild the other hosts with evaluation licenses when needed.

Not sure if that'd be in violation of licensing terms (I've seen the quasi-permanent evaluation licensed lab debate go round and round), but in terms of standing up the hosts again it'd be a small hassle technically.

Even more odd is you get two instances of vCenter Server Standard. Well, I guess you could setup two single socket servers. :rolleyes:

Even more odd is you get two instances of vCenter Server Standard. Well, I guess you could setup two single socket servers. :rolleyes:

For a home lab I don't think that would be that unusual but even my home servers are dual socket mainly for memory capacity...

For a home lab I don't think that would be that unusual but even my home servers are dual socket mainly for memory capacity...

True. It is just odd that you get 8x 2 CPU licenses for VSAN, two vCenter Servers, and only 1x 2 CPU for ESXi.

Yeah. I've been watching to see what comes of it before I make a move. I think they will have it worked out by month's end. Just a hunch. ;)

Last edited:
I sent an email to [email protected] to dig into the licensing issue.

Also, the VMware communities question was mine and I haven't heard anything other than that one response in the thread.

Got a response from the VMUG e-mail I sent. This was their response

Thank you for your email. There are currently 2 CPU licenses for vCloud within EVALExperience. We have recently received feedback from current VMUG Advantage subscribers that there is a need for additional CPUs in specific products in order to evaluate all of the product offerings.

We’re currently working with VMware on resolving this issue, and should have more information and updates soon. I will provide your feedback to VMware. Thank you for your patience.

Thank you,

Ginny Nem

So hopefully they will update us soon. #FingersCrossed

Got a response from the VMUG e-mail I sent. This was their response

So hopefully they will update us soon. #FingersCrossed

That's great news. Hopefully we'll see some changes soon. I think many more people will jump on board if they are willing to be a little more flexible.

No update yet from VMUG. Going to send another email later this week asking for an update.

Well I was close to month's end. :) Just so happens I have 2, maybe 3 low-powered hosts for sale.

On a side note, good to hear from you NJ.

I'm still alive. Just running all over. :) Typing this in a meeting at PEX....

Lol. That is hard core. I think my old instructor Hersey is there (PEX) too.

Back