VMs and SSDs

I have 80% of my VMs on SSD's in my home lab. I occasionally use a HDD for a VM but don't normally run more than one or two on it. Using the SSD just makes things so much smoother.
 
My ESX box doesn't even have any spinning media under it. It boots from a USB thumb drive, all the VMs are hosted on pci-e flash, etc...

I do have 5 spinning drives in it, but they and their raid card are passed through directly to my Plex VM for video storage.
 
If you are worried, throw the VM's on the SSD, when you are done with the VM, make a backup copy and put it on an external HDD.
 
My backup solution involves an NFS share from one of my NAS's mounted in ESX... Every now and then I copy a VM over to it as needed.
 
in our enviroment we have ssd storage and spin storage. depending on the apps, we move it to SDD. that being said.. each windows host has it's c drive on the ssd. services like SQL are located on spin but more heavily hit apps like exchange are stored on ssd.
 
You'd better be putting your SQL tempTB on ssd... and one TempDB per core.
in our enviroment we have ssd storage and spin storage. depending on the apps, we move it to SDD. that being said.. each windows host has it's c drive on the ssd. services like SQL are located on spin but more heavily hit apps like exchange are stored on ssd.
 
yea SQL on a HDD blows. I one of the largest medical distributors was using HDDs a year or 2 ago when i had a school project with them. Their server was our dated as hell.
 
Back
Top