VMM32.XVD and a boot error problem

mokkapoop

[H]ard|Gawd
Ok, I had a job today at a law firm, it was running WIN98, would bootup, start to load windows, and then I get an error:

VMM32.VXD Is Required to Run Windows. You will need to reinstall windows

I dont want to reinstall windows, because this computer is setup on a specific type network, and reinstalling all the software and transfering old files over are just a pain in the ass on this one.

I am wanting to know if I can simply FIX this, by rebuilding it, repairing it, or something along these lines. Please help me out in anyway you can, thanks!

With 98 you can do a rebuild/repair without having to format the machine. Just do the windows installation as you would normally, ie boot from CD or floppy and let the install program run. It may tell you that there is an operating system installed on there, but just ignore it and you'll be sweet.

so pretty much reinstall windows without having to reformat, wont i lose all the programs?

Nope, not at all. It preserves the system registry somewhat, so that all your program files are still there, and (most importantly) they still work.

so put the cd in, boot to cd, reinstall windows - without reformating, and I should be good to go right?

Yep, just let it follow the install through and it should be sweet. I can't remember the exact process, but its pretty self-explanitory.

If it tells you that there is an operating system on the hard drive already, I think there is an ignore option, or repair, or something like that. But it won't format the hard drive.

4keatimj said:
Yep, just let it follow the install through and it should be sweet. I can't remember the exact process, but its pretty self-explanitory.

If it tells you that there is an operating system on the hard drive already, I think there is an ignore option, or repair, or something like that. But it won't format the hard drive.

When I get into the setup, it starts to run, then says that it already has an operating system, and that I should obtain the WIN98 upgrade, doesnt have an ignore button or anything, just click X, and computer restarts

Back