VM Tools keeps changing screen resolution.

Bird222

[H]ard|Gawd
I am running VMware Workstation 12 on Win 10 Pro. I also have Win 10 Pro in a vm. Inside this vm if I set the screen resolution to 1920x1080 (right-click on windows desktop and choose 'display settings'), when the vm reboots VM tools keeps setting it back to 1024x768. How can I get this to be permanent? TIA

Workstation 12 works on W10? I thought you had to be on 13+ or even 14+ for it to work.
Either way, have you tried editing the VM settings and specifying the resolution you want?

Workstation 12 works on W10? I thought you had to be on 13+ or even 14+ for it to work.
Either way, have you tried editing the VM settings and specifying the resolution you want?
I didn't edit it directly (maybe I did it in the gui) but here is what's in the config file.
svga.maxWidth = "1920"
svga.maxHeight = "1080"

But it doesn't matter, it will change it back. So some other setting must be causing this behavior.

Workstation 12 works on W10?
Yes, W10 is slightly older than Workstation 12 believe it or not. I'm still using the same v12 I installed years ago when I first moved to W10. If it ain't broke...

I am running VMware Workstation 12 on Win 10 Pro. I also have Win 10 Pro in a vm. Inside this vm if I set the screen resolution to 1920x1080 (right-click on windows desktop and choose 'display settings'), when the vm reboots VM tools keeps setting it back to 1024x768. How can I get this to be permanent? TIA
I just tried setting 1920x1080 on the VM, rebooted, and it persists for me. I have 'Use host setting for monitors' radio button (default) checked under the VM Settings - Hardware - Display.

Verify your host has a display that can do more than 1920x1080. I've found that player doesn't like spanning outside the current desktop (although you can force it with the mouse).

Yes, W10 is slightly older than Workstation 12 believe it or not. I'm still using the same v12 I installed years ago when I first moved to W10. If it ain't broke...

I just tried setting 1920x1080 on the VM, rebooted, and it persists for me. I have 'Use host setting for monitors' radio button (default) checked under the VM Settings - Hardware - Display.

Verify your host has a display that can do more than 1920x1080. I've found that player doesn't like spanning outside the current desktop (although you can force it with the mouse).
My host monitor is 1024x768 (old monitor). However it does it whether the button is checked or not. Do me a favor, setup VNC and see if it still sticks. I'm using my laptop which is 1920x1080 and I'm trying to view the guest screen in this resolution. It will stay 1920x1080 about half way through the blue 'Please Wait' screen but before it gets to the desktop it will switch to the lower resolution.

Mainly for my own documentation I finally found the setting that is causing this. It is under Edit>Preferences>Display in the 'full screen' section. You have to choose either 'stretch guest' or 'center guest' instead of 'autofit guest'. 'Autofit guest' (in the 'full screen' section only as there's one above in the 'autofit' section) causes VMtools to make windows change the resolution to match the host display.

Back