VM Software for Vista 64bit?

cam966251

[H]ard|Gawd
I am looking for Virtual Machine software for windows Vista 64bit. I have tried parrelles, but it doesn't work with Vista 64bit. I was looking at VMWare. I'm not sure which version (they have enterprise, server, free player, and others) of this to use. Please give me suggestions, price is of no concern. I have also tried Windows Virtual Machine, which doesn't load my video driver, so it doesn't work with games and such, the video card just shows up as default.

All i want to do is run a Virtual Machine with Windows XP or 2000.

www.microsoft.com/virtualpc

Free... it's free... and it works with Vista 64 with no issues...

Did I mention it's free? :)

If you're expecting to be able to load 2K or XP in a VM and play your DirectX or OpenGL games, forget it. No virtualization software is going to do that just yet, but they're working on it.

If you want gaming, dual or triple booting is still the only serious solution.

You need to install the "Virtual Machine Addons" to get proper SVGA/mouse support in any virtualization software (VMWare, Parallels, or VirtualPC, etc) or your video and mouse performance will suffer drastically regardless of how powerful your PC is.

Vmware (All versions) work with Vista x64 and x32.

With that said, I use VMWare Workstation. Why? Because I have been using it before the released Server or Player.

With that said, if I were in your shoes, I'd go with Server. It has a lot of functions (if not all) that VMware Workstation has and cost nothing. If you like it and you find it somehow limiting, or has features you don't need, try out VMWorkstation.

I'm totally going to pimp VMWare Server, since VMWare is a part of my company. :cool:

Anyway, yeah, you won't be able to get hardware accelerated video in a virtual machine just yet. VMWare has an experimental implementation that was shown in a video, at least from what has been seen on ArsTechnica, I'm not sure about the others.

I don't want to play demanding games, just some old ones. And i have the Core 2 Duo, which has VT. I would rather just try it myself, i just wanted to know which one was best.

But i just received a copy of VMWare Workstation and i will give that a try.

With that said, if I were in your shoes, I'd go with Server. It has a lot of functions (if not all) that VMware Workstation has and cost nothing. If you like it and you find it somehow limiting, or has features you don't need, try out VMWorkstation.
Workstation has some features that Server does not have:
http://www.vmware.com/community/message.jspa?messageID=347924

I have heard rumors that VMWare workstation has "graphics acceleration". I cannot substantiate these.

Workstation has some features that Server does not have:
http://www.vmware.com/community/message.jspa?messageID=347924

I have heard rumors that VMWare workstation has "graphics acceleration". I cannot substantiate these.

Hehe, pretty much my point mate. =) If Server doesn't meet your needs hop on over to Workstation.

All the same, you *should* be able to play your old games in Vista without VMware. You can run applications in comptability mode back to Windows 95. Now, thats not to say they will run stable, or at all, but its worth a try.

Hope everything works out for you though. Playing classic games is always fun.

Every single game that i have has worked perfectly for me in Vista. I was just hearing about a game called "Second life" which for some reason just doesn't want to start up in Vista. And since that game doesn't take up many system recourses, i would expect it to be able to play on a VM.

Since Second Life requires 3D graphics acceleration, it won't work under a VM because current released VM software (Parallels, VirtualPC, VMWare) does not support 3D acceleration aside from experimental implementations.

Are you getting any error messages when starting up Second Life? Supposedly the game runs on Vista, unless you had driver issues. I wouldn't know though, I don't touch SL.

Back