VM Shutdown with BBU

EvilAlchemist

2[H]4U
So, I just got my APC 9617 Network Card installed on one of my APC 1500 BBU.

I am running Server 2008 R2 x64, and was looking over the shutdown options.

It is necessary to setup each VM to shut down during a power failure or just have the Main OS shut down (and the VM will save automatically)

This is for a home environment, and no mission critical VM are running,

If you shutdown the Main OS, Virtual Machine will shutdown (or save state) according to the settings in configuration of each VM

Note I think you need to have VMware tools installed on each os in order for the host to be able to iniate a clean shutdown

Note I think you need to have VMware tools installed on each os in order for the host to be able to iniate a clean shutdown
By mentioning 2008 R2 i'd assume he means as a host and he's using Hyper-V.

If you shutdown the Main OS, Virtual Machine will shutdown (or save state) according to the settings in configuration of each VM

This ^

Install the APC software on the host machine and if it shuts off due to impending power failure the VM's will shut down/save state.

Make sure that you give the host enough time to power down the vm's. If you wait until there's only a minute of battery left chances are it will die before it can power them off cleanly. I usually set mine to turn off at 25% battery level but that is all dependent on your run time.

Back