VM in WHS?

rayman2k2

Supreme [H]ardness
Is it possible? I was thinking about getting a WHS box and then using a VM for a linux or XP distro for torrents - rather then getting a dedicated torrent box.

I'd then port-forward that to the router, but I'm getting ahead of myself here.

Knowing how WHS views storage, would creating a VM image on the harddrives cause a problem? Further, can you DO VM in WHS? Just making sure its possible...

You should be able to run a VM in WHS, however, WHS has a torrent plug-in, or atleast I thought it did.

The plug in doesn't really do anything except display the stats from uTorrent web control interface in the WHS console.

I just installed uTorrent to run as a service on my WHS, and control it through the standard uTorrent web interface.

The plug in doesn't really do anything except display the stats from uTorrent web control interface in the WHS console.

I just installed uTorrent to run as a service on my WHS, and control it through the standard uTorrent web interface.

See I wanted to seperate the torrent and the file server since I'll be accessing the uTorrent Webui (or rTorrent or something similar) from outside my network.

See I wanted to seperate the torrent and the file server since I'll be accessing the uTorrent Webui (or rTorrent or something similar) from outside my network.

You can, but you have to be careful with the configuration. You can't put any files in the areas of the file structure with managed data duplication (d:\shares, typically).

Other than than, no real differences than dealing with Server 2003. Except the installers may identify the OS as not being supported even if the VM software you are using works fine with Server 2003.

In my case, my WHS is what I've virtualized, and I don't make my uTorrent web interface available from the web. I just remote into my workstation via WHS and use the uTorrent web interface from there if I need to access it from somewhere else.

Go to http://www.wegotserved.co.uk/. There is a wiki on how to set it up and several people who have done.

Check it out and ask your questions.

+1

I have the uTorrent running as a service on my WHS box (in sig) and I love it. I just drop the .torrent files into the Torrent's share I created, and since I setup uTorrent to watch that folder, it sees the .torrent file, and starts the download. Couldnt be eaiser. Once the files are done downloading, it drops it in the Torrents share, and I can move it around from there.

And of course, everything is controled via the WebUI. Opening the WHS console, and using the uTorrent add-in takes much longer then just opening up the WebUI in Firefox.

FWIW, I had VirtualBox running Untangle on my WHS box for a bit, and nothing seemed to get screwed up. So yea, its doable, but with how slick it is to have uTorrent run as a service, I dont see why you would need to do that. Good luck anyway.

Back