vLite & Vista

Sky

Limp Gawd
I'm thinking just to get Vista Home Basic, since this box will only be for gaming, but even still Vista Home Basic I'm sure is a bit bloated, and I came across vLite to strip it down.

Has anyone used vLite, and how is it? If you're experienced, and I stress this, does vLite work nice to make a nice lean, fast Vista?

vLite:

http://www.vlite.net/

THANKS

Yep, it's the better solution than going out and replacing all your hardware with even faster and bettererer hardware. :D

Home Premium on a full "normal" installation takes up about 8-9GB when the installation is done.

Gut it out of useless stuff using vLite and that same install can shrink down to under 4GB, with a huge boost in performance compared to the same machine running the full blown "normal" installation.

Same goes for all the editions once you gut them like little fishies and cut the crap out - I mean really, who needs 1.6GB of language-related files sitting around on the hard drive for no good reason, right?

I use it, I recommend it, but it does take some effort to learn how to use it properly - and that's where VirtualPC 2007 comes in. You can use vLite to mess around with different settings and options in Vista, removing stuff you don't want, keeping stuff you do, then make an ISO when it's done, and install that custom stripped down version inside VirtualPC 2007 to verify everything works right before committing to burning the ISO on a DVD and doing a real native install.

It's a learning process, but in the end you get a much faster more responsive and more customized version of Vista on your machine and you get the performance it's truly capable of.

Hope this helps...

Back