• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

VLC.exe - No Disk Error Message

Joined
Aug 5, 2005
Messages
902
Hi, I have a Quad Core PC running Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit with 3 internal hard drives. two 1 TB drives and one 2 TB Drive. Recently I've been getting this error message popping up every so often when I click to play a 1080p Movie Rip. I'm using VLC Media Player to play the Movies.

When I click on the movie to play this error message pops up, it says at the top "vlc.exe - No Disk" and then the main message says "There is no disk in the drive. Please Insert a disk into drive \Device\Harddisk3\DR3." I'm given 3 options to click "Cancel, Try Again, Continue".

If I click any of the three options my movie will begin playing like it should and usually the error message won't pop up for awhile and sometimes it occurs right after.

I get the same error message when I try playing a movie from my enclosure also

Anyone familiar with this error message? I've used Windows Error checking tool on all drives and no problems were found. This error message is frustrating me, Please help.
 
Thanks for the help. I installed Crystaldiskinfo and it shows "Good" for my two secondary drive but it says "Caution" in health status for my C: Drive. It shows two yellow circles. One says "C5 Current Pending Sector Count Current 100 and Worst 100". The other says "C6 Uncorrecteable Sector Count Current 100 and Worst 100" What does that mean? What do I do now? Does that mean that my C: Drive is failing? I appreciate your help.
 
Last edited:
It means that the drive has sectors (the raw column should be the # of sectors) where data has been written but the drive can not read these sectors. This could be real data loss or files you already deleted.. Yes this is a sign that the drive is dieing however it does not always mean total failure but it is usually a sign of trouble.
 
So what do you think I should do? Is there a drive repair program?

What's odd is for the past 2 days I've been hearing clicking noises coming from my computer. I was worried that it might be one of my drives.
 
What's odd is for the past 2 days I've been hearing clicking noises coming from my computer.

That is a sign of the drive trying to recover these sectors also a sign of more failure.

So what do you think I should do? Is there a drive repair program?

If this is the US it would probably cost more than what it is worth. For around $50 you can get a 1TB drive new. $15 more dollars and you can get a 5400 RPM 2TB.
 
I appreciate the help. But Windows 7 and all of my programs are on the drive. Do I have to reinstall everything or is there a way to copy all my data to the new drive?
 
I appreciate the help. But Windows 7 and all of my programs are on the drive. Do I have to reinstall everything or is there a way to copy all my data to the new drive?

I would clone the drive to a new one of the same or larger size. There are several ways to do this. For a bad drive I would use ddrescue (available on any current linux livecd) however that will require some linux understanding so that you can figure out what are the source and destination drives. This method has a good chance of success since it first copies all good sectors and skips around the bad parts of the disk.

http://www.forensicswiki.org/wiki/Ddrescue

A simpler method is to use CloneZilla or Acronis True Image however I do not believe either of these can deal with unreadable sectors so the clone operation can fail.
 
Thanks guys. So I guess the best thing to do is just buy a new drive and reinstall everything. I have 3 internal drives in my PC, how can I tell which is the boot drive when I open the computer?
 
Thanks guys. So I guess the best thing to do is just buy a new drive and reinstall everything. I have 3 internal drives in my PC, how can I tell which is the boot drive when I open the computer?

You can always boot with only 1 drive connected.....
 
Cool. Once I take out the bad drive and insert the new one, What are the steps to installing Windows 7? Do I have to go into Bios?
 
Once I physically insert the drive into my PC will my computer detect the new drive and guide me the process of formatting the drive and installing Windows 7? Thanks
 
Back
Top