• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Vitrual Box questions.

hpglow

Limp Gawd
Joined
Mar 2, 2004
Messages
373
I currently fold with a 2500k and a 560ti. From what I understand Linux gives a few extra points. So would it do me any good to set up a Virtual Box and get it folding? Or would the OS on OS action slow things down too much? If this is a viable option how much ram should I give the VB? I have 16GB installed. This is my gaming rig so I can't dedicate it to Linux folding.

Next question, VB allows me to allocate 8 virtual cores even though my processor only has 4. Would this allow me to run (and complete) bigadv? My processor is overclocked to 4.3Ghz, it can handle 4.5 but I don't like the temps it pushes.

Links to guides and stuff would be appreceated.
 
Not really, SMP does just about as well in windows as Linux and the hassle and overhead will kill off a fair bit of the gain. If you have a fair bit of RAM and wana play with it... go for it.

This is "thread spoofing" and is against the best practices for F@H. Also -bigadv has moved up to 16 threads and has tightened the deadlines. So for the most part, it is a moot point now.
 
Back
Top