Vista32 not seeing my SATA HDD new build

etrek

n00b
I just completed building my system: Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R. The Bios seems ok; it sees my SATA DVD Burner as IDE Channel 0 Master and my Seagate SATA HDD as IDE Channel 1 Master - (I'm not doing a RAID setup). I set CD/DVD as boot drive and inserted Vista CD, began install, but Vista said it could not find a hard drive. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Also, as a small side concern, I noticed that my Bios is reporting my System Fan 2 at 0 RPM, when I can clearly see it spinning and sure I plugged it into the sys fan 2 port. Should I be concerned about this?

Thanks for your help!

its not on those fakeIDE controllers *cough* Jmicron *cough* by any chance is it?

Hi, I'm not sure to be honest. But I don't think so, there are 8 SATA connection grouped in four squares of two connections each - next to the south bridge. Two of these connections are listed as GSATA, but I didn't use those - not sure what it means. I'm looking at the manual now to see where the Jmicron connection is.

You likely need the driver for the SATA controller (on floppy or CD/DVD) or you may be able to run the SATA in IDE mode (at the cost of SATA features).

If you didn't use the "GSATA" ports then your on the ICH9 controller. When you boot vista's setup and it asks where you want to install VIsta too click the Load Driver button in the corner and insert you Gigabyte driver CD and dig around for the Intel ICH9 drivers. That should help.

Thanks for the replys. According to the manual, I need to copy the ICH9 or Gigabyte drivers if I plan to do a RAID or use AHCI. But even though I set my BIOS to see the HDD as regular IDE, Vista still asks for drivers. So I guess I have no choice but to go through the manual's copy drivers to floppy routine (since I have only one optical drive) and use the AHCI mode.

I was under the impression that this board only has ICH9 intel south bridge. I didn't know I had to use the GSATA ports for that functionality. Unless I miss understood.

Thanks for your help!!! :D

Thanks for the replys. According to the manual, I need to copy the ICH9 or Gigabyte drivers if I plan to do a RAID or use AHCI. But even though I set my BIOS to see the HDD as regular IDE, Vista still asks for drivers. So I guess I have no choice but to go through the manual's copy drivers to floppy routine (since I have only one optical drive) and use the AHCI mode.

I was under the impression that this board only has ICH9 intel south bridge. I didn't know I had to use the GSATA ports for that functionality. Unless I miss understood.

Thanks for your help!!! :D

Vista doesn't require a floppy anymore. just put your drvier CD in after you click on the Load Driver button.

ICH9 only has support for 6 SATA ports. So, the 2 GSATA ports are tied to the Gigabyte SATA controller (probably made by JMicron).

EDIT: There are two different settings for change modes. One for GSATA2 and other for the ICH9

SATA RAID/ACHI mode == ICH9
-- Disabled Configures the SATA controllers to PATA mode. (Default)
-- AHCI Configures the SATA controllers to AHCI mode.
-- RAID Enables RAID for the SATA controllers.

Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode == GSATA2
--IDE Configures the SATA controller to PATA mode. (Default)
--AHCI Configures the SATA controller to AHCI mode.
--RAID/IDE Enables RAID for the SATA controller. (The IDE controller still operates in PATA mode)

If you set something specifically to IDE then it was the GSATA2 ports and the ICH9 ports are still in AHCI mode.

Back