Vista "You need permission to perform this action"

palmboy5

Limp Gawd
I've been trying to delete some folders and files that I don't need anymore, mostly from Program Files, and Vista won't let me.
vistapermissiondenied1.png

I get this a lot with other stuff as well. I've tried logging into the actual Administrator account and deleting through cmd with elevated privileges and I still can't delete it. I even reenabled UAC for it to ask me in three different popups whether I wanted to delete it, only to end up with the same problem. Last thing I tried which ALSO doesn't work is Portable Killbox which can't delete anything without or with reboot.

How do I get rid of this stuff?!:confused:

I've been trying to delete some folders and files that I don't need anymore, mostly from Program Files, and Vista won't let me.
http://www.mylilsite.net/images/vistapermissiondenied1.png

I get this a lot with other stuff as well. I've tried logging into the actual Administrator account and deleting through cmd with elevated privileges and I still can't delete it. I even reenabled UAC for it to ask me in three different popups whether I wanted to delete it, only to end up with the same problem. Last thing I tried which ALSO doesn't work is Portable Killbox which can't delete anything without or with reboot.

How do I get rid of this stuff?!:confused:

Try taking ownership of the folder

or failing that,

Boot into safe mode and delete it.

What do you mean take ownership? Do you mean with the Security tab in the folder properties? I've given myself "Full control" there. I also tried deleting while in safe mode, both still said I lack permission.

Alright, it used to be owned by "SYSTEM", I've changed it to my own user, then to Administrator, neither let me delete the folder..

In addition to taking ownership, remove all permissions for all users, then add full control for yourself. If that doesn't work, try renaming it then rebooting, then deleting it.

Why are you deleting that file anyway?
I have CS4 now, with Acrobat 9.0. I have this stuff on a second partition that does not get reformatted when I reformat the OS partition (which I did). Things therefore still exist and some of them are bugging me with this lack of permission crap.

In addition to taking ownership, remove all permissions for all users, then add full control for yourself. If that doesn't work, try renaming it then rebooting, then deleting it.
I'm not sure what you mean by removing all permissions. Would you mean removing every entry under "Group or user names" or giving all of them all Deny check marks? I can't remove any entry because it will say
"You can't remove <entry name> because this object is inheriting permissions from its parent."
so I tried checking all Deny's possible for all entries and it seems doing that for any one entry will do it for "Everyone" which locks myself out of the folder. Currently I'm still completely locked out.. oops?
On my other computer which has the same exact problem, I tried renaming the folder to "BLAH" and rebooting. I still can't delete it.

I have CS4 now, with Acrobat 9.0. I have this stuff on a second partition that does not get reformatted when I reformat the OS partition (which I did). Things therefore still exist and some of them are bugging me with this lack of permission crap.

I'm not sure what you mean by removing all permissions. Would you mean removing every entry under "Group or user names" or giving all of them all Deny check marks? I can't remove any entry because it will say
"You can't remove <entry name> because this object is inheriting permissions from its parent."
so I tried checking all Deny's possible for all entries and it seems doing that for any one entry will do it for "Everyone" which locks myself out of the folder. Currently I'm still completely locked out.. oops?
On my other computer which has the same exact problem, I tried renaming the folder to "BLAH" and rebooting. I still can't delete it.

You have to take ownership of the folder and everything in it to delete it. Do everything SuperSubZero said, but also make sure to click the check box for "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects."

You can download a program called "unlocker" which lets you delete files even if the OS is using them. You can also try Revouninstaller which is a great uninstall program. It monitors the installer service and any file/folder/registry traces that are left behind are brought to your attention to delete afterword. It also has a program included called File Shredder which helps get rid of those pesky files that won't delete.

1. Take Ownership of object/container [and subcontainers and objects.]:

Right click->Properties->Security->Advanced->Owner->Edit
Check the [Replace owner on subcontainers and objects] box.
Select your user from the list, or select [Other users or groups] and type your name.
Hit all [apply] and [OK] buttons.

2. Remove inheritable permissions.

Right Click->Properties->Security->Edit->Advanced->Permissions->Edit
Uncheck [Include inheritable permissions from this object's parent].
Hit [remove] if prompted for [copy], [remove], [cancel].
Hit all [apply] and [ok] buttons.

3. Remove all user permissions on object/container [and subcontainers and objects]:

Right Click->Properties->Security->Edit
Select each user and hit [remove].

4. Give yourself full control

Right Click->Properties->Security->Edit
Hit [add].
type in your username.
Hit [OK].
Check the [Full Control] Permission.

Thank you devil22 for the step-by-step instructions, it worked!

I shall look into Revouninstaller, the monitoring feature sounds useful.

Thanks everyone for you help :]

Back