Vista + XP dual boot question....again

Mabrito

Supreme [H]ardness
I am having troubles getting the dual boot to work again. I landed a copy a Vista Ultimate and a 400 gig hard drive over the weeked. So what I did was disconnect my Raptor from the motherboard and connected the 400gig hard drive to it. Then I installed XP Pro on the 400 gig hard drive. Once that completed, I reconnected the Raptor to the motherboard and formatted and installed Vista Ultimate on it.

I thought that if you install Vista after XP, the Vista bootloader should automatically detect an XP and add it to the bootloader? Well it didnt, and it just boots automatically to Vista. So I been trying to edit the bootloader through BCDEDIT and having no luck. How would I go about getting it to boot properly? Under Vista, Vista is on the C: drive and XP is on the D: drive.

Im tagging along as well, except I already have Vista and want to add XP. I got the dual boot menu to come up, but it won't boot on the XP setup.

I'm just backing up to go over the steps, because it doesn't seem like you did anything wrong.

You installed XP to the primary drive and got that working, and booting to XP.
You then added the secondary drive, to which you installed Vista to...while the primary drive was still connected to the PC.

If so, that should have set up the boot menus for you. If not, you could give this application a try:

http://www.vistabootpro.org/

try doing a repair install. if u have the time, id try it again but this time dont unplug any drives, format em both then when installing xp choose the drive you want, install vista and choose that drive etc.

second, can vista see both drives? if it cant i suspect this to be the cause. a quick google might show u how to fix this.

Yeah in Vista I can access the XP drive and view its contents.

Yeah in Vista I can access the XP drive and view its contents.

hrm i dunno. if u havent spent time in vista setting it up, i would just format again and try reinstalling xp then vista. i dual boot xp and vista 64, no issues so far.

I have done the dual boot, but Vista was installed first.

I followed these instructions and everything worked fine. They talk about having both OS's on the same drive, but I imagine you can just skip those steps.

Back