Vista & XP - Best Utilities [Registry, Drives, Memory, Services, Etc.]

Hourglass

Weaksauce
So I'm looking for the best utilities to work with for XP and Vista. I work at a circuit city as and just got promoted as a firedog tech. We run bunch of diagnostics every day on both vista and xp machines and I'm looking for the best programs.

So far I have SeaTools and PowerMax for hard drives. I've got Daemon Tools if I need to mount ISOs

I need a program that fixes registry problems for Vista and XP, easy adware/malware removale tool(s), performance tweaker(s), and anything else that would be handy ^_^

I keep everything on a 1GB USB drive for easy access and such

SuperAntiSpyware is good imo.. and I like CCleaner as well..

I have also heard that RegScrubXp works well... I have never used it myself, but it may be worth looking at.

EDIT... As far as Vista is concerned... Windows Defender actually works pretty well, and a good a/v (like NOD32) will do a pretty good job of keeping things clean...

Be careful about the tools you use, I know the Geek Squad are limited to certain corporate approved utils, you might be too.

BUT, if not, I'll list off a few must haves:

AVG-Antispyware
Hijackthis
SmitfraudFix
Kaspersky + NOD32 Trials
CCleaner (+1111000000!!!!!)
RegSeeker
Msconfig
XP SP2 (VERY useful to have available)
Memtest86
Hitachi DFT
Norton Ghost
CPU-Z
Symantec Removal Tool
McAfee Removal Tool

The list goes on and on, every tech's got their tools.

Almost forgot too. THE most important tool in your arsenal.

www.google.com

No lie. You'll never know EVERY answer to every problem, get good at googling for solutions, it's a life saver.

Almost forgot too. THE most important tool in your arsenal.

www.google.com

No lie. You'll never know EVERY answer to every problem, get good at googling for solutions, it's a life saver.
Great wisdom is to be had here, grasshopper. Might I also suggest the [H] for those times when you have questions that might need a little more feedback to get you going in a different direction. Along those lines, make friends with your co-workers and use your POOLED knowledge to advantage. While all techs are god's gift to mankind, some of the toughest problems can be gotten through by putting aside ego and actually talking through / helping one another. That's a little touchy-feely, but great strides can be made in a team environment where everyone can learn from everyone else. Granted, that's all out the window if all you do is make house calls by yourself.

Also, something along the lines of WinsockXPFix and TCP/IP (though some of the latter may be a little dubious) can be invaluable once you rip out a bunch of spyware and find out you can't get to the 'net anymore.

I use Google all the the time, it's simply awesome. From basic math calculations to spell checking and word definitions. It's simple and not covered in ads or useless info.

they do have a list of specific software that you must use but i tell you...it sucks.. you can check ccity then go under tech tools and can download a couple of things....nothing i ever used tho...mostly used the geek squad cd and ultimateboot along with ccleaner and crap cleaner. ad aware spybot also you may want a driver tool that helps identify unknown drivers as well.. other thank that ... thats about it. i was the lead tech...in homes and what not...but i tell ya i had best install sales for 7 months and didnt get anything ...no raise ...so i quit and got a comission job...now making double.....Good luck ...

you better be really careful using unapproved tools in a business setting like circuit city. If the wrong person catches you using something you do not have a license for you will be sued

you better be really careful using unapproved tools in a business setting like circuit city. If the wrong person catches you using something you do not have a license for you will be fired

They will fire you. Keeping you will get them sued.

I'd have a talk with the managers first.

Back