Vista x64 Volume Mixer busted?

Grimlaking

2[H]4U
not sure what is going on. After I updated drivers my volume mixer stopped recognising any audio devices I have tested with. Tried the onboard RealTek HD audio driver and the driver reports all is well. Though it bahaves oddly. after much trial and error and uninstall and reinstall and update and downgrade I went with my audigy 2 ZS Gamer. that recognises controlls from the driver. (IE I turn up my microphone sound I get static pumped through the speakers.) but it does not recognise windows sounds. Going to test with a game.

Nope games are a no go.

Great I just did a check with dxdiag and it says

error: Problem Getting Extra Sound Info.

Now I get to see what that means... sigh...

Well that is no go. Updated my directx with the one relased in April from MS to no avail. Dagnabit this is going to piss me off.

Creative FTL... I have an Audigy 2 as well.

Uninstall your Creative drivers

Go to the device manager -> view -> show hidden devices -> Non plug&play Devices -> uninstall all the Creative 'hidden' devices that were not removed when you uninstalled the drivers.

Reboot as necessary...

Install the latest creative drivers from creative.com

I'm guessing there's a rogue 'device' in your device manager.

Oddly enough I had exactly the same issue with my onboard HD sound before. (I coulda swore I said that in my first post.)

I mean exactly the same. Something is dirty in soundtown and it isn't creative or realtek in this case.

Oddly enough I had exactly the same issue with my onboard HD sound before. (I coulda swore I said that in my first post.)

I mean exactly the same. Something is dirty in soundtown and it isn't creative or realtek in this case.

But you already had the Audigy installed when you ran into Realtek issues?

Here are some other solutions I've read:

I think I remember hearing that the popping sound happened you have 4GB of ram installed while using a Creative sound card, so if the update doesn't work you might try removing one stick of ram to see if that is it. I haven't had the problem of Media Player not accepting codecs but it does use a lot of my processor and skips sometimes, usually on HD videos, VLC even skipped on me. My roommate is pretty much unable to use Media Player (I believe it just locks up on him) but we both just use Media Player Classic now and don't have any problems.

And there was a thread about increasing the default buffer window or something like that - but I think that was to address crackling issues...

folks a lot drivers are not mature yet. creative has made a stament about sound issues in vista, as stated vista handles sound differently (as with most things) and old issues that was worked out with XP are now back with vista. a lot of drivers are rewrites due to the differents in vista, so with that you going to prolly get some poping and drop outs due to driver issues with vista.

folks a lot drivers are not mature yet. creative has made a stament about sound issues in vista, as stated vista handles sound differently (as with most things) and old issues that was worked out with XP are now back with vista. a lot of drivers are rewrites due to the differents in vista, so with that you going to prolly get some poping and drop outs due to driver issues with vista.

Very true!

However, there are work-arounds for most issues until the problems are worked out by the driver manufacturer. If you look around the forum, you will find that nearly everyone who is running Vista full time has managed to get their sound working correctly despite the driver shortcomings.

So - we'll continue to help him diagnose and resolve the issues the best we can!!

I should also note that since the March, 2007 drivers were released, I no longer run into any popping/crackling sounds. Other people have had to increase their default buffering time to eliminate the popping. But this particular issue seems to be a bit different than the usual popping errors that we hear about!

This is a good bit different.

When I first noticed the error I had updated my chipset drivers and realtek drivers and ethernet drivers for my onboard components to the newest versions. After the reboot no sound.

So I removed the realtek HD drivers and reinstalled. (please note no Creative product installed at that time hardware or software.)

I went through and uninstalled and reinstalled several times in testing. Each time the driver was good according to device manager. Though with the realtek controll panel I Could not define speaker setups at all. It was very odd.

So I tried my audigy 2 zs gamer. I uninstalled the realtek HD drivers. (again.) and shut down. Then I installed the Audigy 2 ZS gamer card. Such a pretty black and gold card. Anyway I do this and boot into the bios and disable the onboard sound. Then boot the rest of the way in and windows detects but I do not let it install.

I then install the driver via creatives web page where I download the one for Vista 64 bit. It installs cleanly and all seems well in the world.

And yet the sound mixer still sees no devices and the device menue option is grayed out completely. Que the WTF?

So I uninstall drivers again. This time I let windows detect and manually point to the driver folder location. It addes them back in. (well not the game port that craps out as no good driver. But I'm not surprised.)

Up untill I did the driver update all was working with the realtek HD audio. Now I would like my Audigy working with my components. I know I don't have a hardware failure because when I go in and mess with volume levels if I turn up the microphone sound playback level I get static and can loop my voice via my headphones no problem.

Kinda jacked eh?

any ideas? Is it time to redo the box? I really don't want to but it isn't a huge deal if I must.

I am really starting to lean towards reimage my box. Anyone else have any other input on this?

Humm guess I willbe redoing my image this weekend considering nobody has any other ideas on this one. I have seen some other rare occurances of the same kind of thing. Pretty interesting.

Too bad I'm not willing to pay Microsoft to fix this one.

Back