• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Vista x64 Tips and Tricks

Sunin

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - August 2008
Joined
Dec 27, 2005
Messages
3,421
I'm going to be loading up an SMP client tonight on my E6600 on Vista Ultimate 64bit and would like all the tips and tricks.. I know there was some talk about setting up things in Vista in other threads, but I didn't see any thread that covered the whole deal.

Thanks for your help in advance.

 
Not hard at all.

Turn off UAC. Turn it back on when you are done installing the SMP client.

Create a custom folder for installation: c:\smp or c:\folding.
 
Does anyone know where the shared files are on Vista? In XP it has a Shared Files Directory, I have not located anything like this in my vista install yet.

Thanks,

 
Create a custom folder for installation: c:\smp or c:\folding.

I found this was probably the most important thing getting it to run properly without dealing with permission issues, but I was setting it up to run as a service also, don't put it in the Program Files group whatever you do, I had a nightmare until I found the info to put it in it's own directory totally outside of Program Files. I also flagged the fah executeable run as admin for good measure lol... I don't think the SMP version is setup to share any files with the latest beta, none I can locate on this machine anyhow outside of it's directory, vs the normal beta client I have running on another x64 box which has shared files in the User/Appdata/Roaming/folding@home-x86.

 
If you dont like using password (and you need password for SMP client)
1.Click Start, click Run, and type control userpasswords2.

2.Clear the Users must enter a username and password to use this computer check box.

3.Click Apply.

4.Enter the user name and password you wish to automatically log on with, and then click OK.

5.Click OK again and you're all done.


 
I used these directions from W Rat when I did my install. A retarded monkey could do it following these directions so you might have a chance after all.

My install was also Vista Ultimate x64.




 
Not hard at all.

Turn off UAC. Turn it back on when you are done installing the SMP client.

Or you could leave UAC off if you hate it asking you to double check if you really want to start that program you just started. Really, how bad is it to leave this option off?

 
One thing to keep in mind, is for UAC you must have it off not only for the install, but the initial configurations. Run the client with the -configonly flag and set it up with UAC OFF. Then turn it back on which causes you to reboot and run F@H and walla... working SMP Client.

It definitely takes a bit of getting used to vista, but since this new computer is also going to serve as my Home Theater PC having Vista Ultimate 64bit which has a very slick media center version on it was vital.



 
Back
Top