Vista x64 repair after a bad sleep mode ate my user data.

DevilDoc

2[H]4U
I scratch built this system two weeks ago, and since that time I'd installed my apps and got everything situated the way I like it.

Saturday, I put the system into sleep mode to see what would happen. Upon wake-up, the login screen was displayed - but it was all distorted and I did not have any interactive control whatsoever. Keyboard and Mouse had no effect. System was unresponsive. I didn't have the time to troubleshoot the system, so I just powered it off.

Today, I power the machine on and am greeted by a black screen that says "Hey dude, you're missing [SomeFileThatsRequiredForBooting.exe] - to repair this boot off of your install media." I don't remember what exactly it said but I figured it would be fine to just run repair off of the DVD, right?

Wrong. After that repair session, the system came up to a black screen that said "some registry shit is borked. - to repair this boot off of your install media." Okay, fuck. Let's do this again. Repair the system again, boot the box again...

I get a login screen. It has my pic displayed. It has my name. I login...... "Preparing profile..." or whatever is displayed on first boot.

Okay, I guess I just have to do a little setup again? Wrong. All of the apps I've set up, all of the tweaks and adjustments I've made over the past two weeks are all gone. The "C:\Users\MyName\" Directory is completely missing, taking all of my personal data with it to boot. Luckily I haven't wiped the drive of my old machine, and I just made a backup of Documents and Pictures on Thursday to a portable HD.

My guess is that I didn't have the system configured properly to go into sleep mode. Plus I turned on Enable Advanced Performance for the SATARAID and it may have NOT committed changes to the disk before going to sleep mode.

I still do not get why my \Users\ directory is completely gone.

Back