Vista x64: How can I increase mouse rate and disable acceleration?

jmk396

Gawd
I've just installed Vista x64 Home Premium and it seems like my mouse feels... strange... when playing games. I'm not sure if it's because of mouse acceleration or what so I did some searching and it seems to be a big problem with Vista (and worse with SP1).

I also downloade a mouse rate checking program it confirms that my mouse is only running at 125 Hz.

Can I increase this somehow?

Can I somehow disable mouse acceleration for games? Supposedly I need some crazy hacked usb.sys or win32k.sys or something...

Some mice have drivers that allow you to change the update rate, like my deathadder from razer. I've never seen a program that does that for usb, but I used to use a program to do it back when I had ps2 mice. If worse comes to worse, buy a gamer mouse that allows you to change it, like the deathadder.
Not sure about the acceleration. Funny, I've never noticed this issue and I game a lot.

Well, maybe it's time that I retire my Logitech MX510.

There is a Best Buy about 30 minutes from my house that I just called and have a Razer DeathAdder on hold for me to pickup/look at tomorrow.

The online reviews seem to be raving about this mouse and I take it that you like it a lot?

It's a good mouse, I do recommend it. Unfortunately some games don't recognize the side buttons, like crysis and far cry 2. Even when I map them to keyboard keys, the games don't respond to them. I would guess most mice would have that problem and it is due to vista's uac. One mouse that shouldn't have that problem is the roccat kone, because the macros are kept and executed on the mouse, but unfortunately the roccat kone is not yet available in the U.S. (only europe.) A very minor complaint, but you or someone else may like to know about that before buying. On the plus side, it has excellent tracking on my generic mouse pad, is very smooth and basically the games play perfectly. However, I'm not sure it will fix your problem, because that sounds like a system issue, but it's worth a try, and with best buy you can always return it if it doesn't fix the problems you have.

Back