Vista x64 Freezes When Transferring Files

rsgunter

[H]ard|Gawd
Hello all, I have a problem. :)

When I try to transfer files, or others try to pull from me, my system locks up entirely, not even allowing me to ctrl+alt+delete, move my mouse, anything. The only option I have is to use the reset button.

A couple of weeks ago before moving, I was on a wired network and everything was working just fine. However now I'm on a wireless network, that's the only thing that's changed.

Also, I have no viruses or malware, the rest of the network is the same.

Here's the setup:

5 Computers on wireless, the media box is wired into the router. The PS3 and Wii are also wireless.

Anyone have an idea why this would happen, and if so, is there a possible fix?

Do you have the latest service packs installed? I believe SP1 fixed this issue

Honestly this sounds like a driver issue more so than an OS issue. The wireless card that you're using; what bus is it on? was it designed to work with Vista x64 (not Windows XP)? update drivers?

Sounds almost like the device itself is at fault. I had a USB 802.11g stick that went bad. It worked, on up to the point of transferring anything over the network, then it would blue screen the system (or any system it was on).

If all else, try another wireless card and see if the issue still happens. If it does, then it might be an OS issue, but I kinda doubt that right now.

Honestly this sounds like a driver issue more so than an OS issue. The wireless card that you're using; what bus is it on? was it designed to work with Vista x64 (not Windows XP)? update drivers?

Sounds almost like the device itself is at fault. I had a USB 802.11g stick that went bad. It worked, on up to the point of transferring anything over the network, then it would blue screen the system (or any system it was on).

If all else, try another wireless card and see if the issue still happens. If it does, then it might be an OS issue, but I kinda doubt that right now.

I was starting to think the same thing.

It's on PCI bus 5.

This is the card, Encore ENLWI-N.
http://www.encore-usa.com/product_item.php?region=us&bid=2&pgid=81_2&pid=269

I downloaded the 64 bit driver on the site before installing. Tech support said to install the driver before installing the card, which is what I did. I am using the software it came with, could this be a problem? Maybe I could use the default windows wireless software?

Back