Vista X64 boot problems

NukeULater

Gawd
Hello everyone, I am having some problems with my Vista ultimate X64 setup. Last night it crashed and I could not get to to boot back up. I ended up having to reset my motherboard's BIOS. This allowed me to boot into safe mode, which is always a good sign but that is when that ended.

The crash must have corrupted my video card driver. So I uninstalled it rebooted and it worked perfectly in non-safe mode windows. I installed the latest nvidia drivers and rebooted. It went well until just after the loading bar, then the screen went black and the computer stopped accessing the hard drives. I can't figure out what to do if I cannot get the thing to boot with the drivers installed. :confused:

Specs are in my sig. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
How many monitors/TVs do you have connected to your vga?

Uninstall the vga drives in safe mode and install OLD vga drivers. See if it helps.
I just tried that, nothing changed. I was using nvidia's 178 drivers to test.

Once again it got to the loading screen the hard drives working away, then a black screen and just after the hard drives stop reading but the PC is still on. I will say that way until I turn it off.

I just tried that, nothing changed. I was using nvidia's 178 drivers to test.

Once again it got to the loading screen the hard drives working away, then a black screen and just after the hard drives stop reading but the PC is still on. I will say that way until I turn it off.

It's really weird that you had to reset BIOS to get it going. Try to unhook all storage HDDs and boot only with a main drive.

I figured out what it was. One of my 8600GT's died. When I remove that card I boots into windows no problem. If I take out the good card, I get the exact same BIOS error.

Thank you so much for your help hmz, it is greatly appreciated. :)

Back