Vista x64 and burning / ripping dvds..

x0dyssey

Weaksauce
So yeah i decided to put vista on one of my spare segate sata 150 drives this weekend.. and well as far as the os goes i like it.. but when it comes to burning and ripping dvds.. its slow.. way to slow.. about 4.8x max.. so about 1 hour per dvd to rip.. when normally it takes about 10 min.. I know its not the drive. works fine on my linux sabayon and xp/vista 32 os drives.. so im lost.. software does not matter.. anydvd imgburn dvd decrypter nero roxio clone dvd .. i have pretty much tried them all and they all have the same issue on vista x64 . any ideas?

Sounds like a missing chipset driver. I use DVDfab HD Decrypter, and my speeds are as fast as I would hope them to be.

i doubled checked when i installed x64 went to gigabytes site and got the latest 965 x64 driver from there.. im thinking i will look for the intel one and see if that helps.. the odd thing to add to my rant is it reads disks fine.. but once i start to rip or burn it craps out. Thanks for the info though, i will try the intel chipset once i get home.

Are you saying to can normally rip and burn a double layer 8.5GB in 10 minutes?

it seems about that fast most of the time im playing a game like say halo 3 rumble pit and those games are about 15~25 min each and i can usually get 2 done in that time. ill double check the speeds tonight on my xp drive to make sure but im 99.99% sure about the time.

ok updated the chipset drivers to the latest version from intel [FONT=Arial,helvetica]8.3.1.1009 .. i have also noticed that the buffer does not even fill up when attempting to rip the disk. still maxes out at 2.8x for dvds.. i am using the LG GSA-H62N C00 .. currently i cant find any firmware upgrades for the drive. hmm this is strange. :confused:
[/FONT]

those will not install for some reason.. it just jumps through the install in about 4 seconds.. not sure why.. i checked the dma settings filters.. everything seems fine.. i decided to put a data disk in.. my nikon cd.. that rips fine around 20x or so.. so i tried a burned dvd.. that rips fine as well.. im thinking there maybe some sort of anti-piracy software running.. im not sure from what since this is a fresh install of x64 sp1. Im assuming i am wrong since there are several people out there running Sp1 x64 and do not have the issue.. this is going to be fun.... i think i will find an older vista 64 disk install that and test it there tonight.. unless anyone has any ideas.. im also going to attempt the 4gb tuning that i have found in the MSDN.

update.. seems to be an issue not with software.. but with the drive itself.. the LG drive sucks.. lol well for 64 bit anyways.. my old Liteon drive works fine.. i get about 8x on dvd rips.. strange but yeah this is the first drive i have seen that does not like 64 bit.. wow..

officially

I 20:57:32 Operation Successfully Completed! - Duration: 00:11:49
I 20:57:32 Average Read Rate: 11,632 KB/s (8.4x) - Maximum Read Rate: 16,854 KB/s (12.2x)

the movie i used was lock stock and two smoking barrels yes it s a dual layer dvd about 7.9gb

Back