Vista + Wireless = Pain

TechieSooner

Supreme [H]ardness
Does anyone else have these problems?

This is on my notebook (which I use wireless with), and it has SP1 and all the updates installed.

However, whenever resuming from sleep or hibernation, it is only connected locally. It's connected to my network, but can't get out on the internet.
I can try ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew but, most of the time, it doesn't do anything. Most of the time I end up rebooting, but even then sometimes that doesn't work.

And last night I booted up from a cold boot (no sleep or anything) and had the same issue...

It appears the default gateway is set to have TWO.
At the top (the first) it says 0.0.0.0 and below that is the correct one: 192.168.1.1
I don't know what causes this but it is rather a pain when I've got to use it...

Probably one of my few Vista gripes, and perhaps the biggest.

My brother and mother had similar issue on their HP computers. The problem is with the network driver not working properly when sleeping or waking up. I fixed their computers by disabling sleep mode in their network driver properties in Device Manager. This way when your computer sleeps, your network card doesn't. When your computer wakes up, you wouldn't have to worry about your network card redetecting your DHCP again since it never slept.

I fixed their computers by disabling sleep mode in their network driver properties in Device Manager.

Didn't see anything like that, so I got ahold of Dell.

They control it through Vista's Power Management settings.

The "On Battery" for the Wireless Adapter was set to conserve the most power.
I set it to Maximum Performance, appears to have fixed the issue!

I tried running Vista on my Dell Latitude D630, but wasn't too thrilled with how the wireless was handled...and I couldn't get the Intel utility to run as the wireless management utility. I may give it another shot later on, but I do need one XP system to help support my users, since they all use XP for now.

I have Vista Home Premium 32 bit and it reconnects to wireless pretty quickly after resume and it gets full internet access. No problem here.

Maybe this is just for their Vista version, but surprisingly, Dell lets Vista manage the wireless on my M1330.

Still isn't instant though (as soon as I resume, it isn't instantly "on", in other words). It takes a few seconds to connect to the wireless, then a few more seconds to connect to the Internet.
Probably takes 20 seconds, not the best, but quicker than rebooting.

Back