Vista wins an award!

glad to see CNET jumping on the vista-hatred bandwagon.

ill be enjoying my perfectly functioning, 64 bit vista with all 64 bit apps, no third party crap because just about everything is built in, and my blazing fast experience that puts my completely stripped xp partition and my minimal linux partition to shame :D

in fact ill be deleting xp and linux soon, vista has been that damn good of an experience for me.

What idiots, obviously they don't even use it. I love the particular phrease "instantly hated by hordes of PC professionals and enthusiasts". Hordes???? Do you have any fricking numbers? Noooooo, your just saying hordes because obviously you don't like the product.

Who the hell gets on the Internet to say "Everything running fine here thanks". Nobody, people bitch about problems and say nothing when it's good, that is their nature. For every "Horde" of people that are bitching about Vista there are "HordesX10", that are loving it.

I'm glad someone reads n00b sites. It's interesting to see the evolution of bashing from the moronic point of view. :p

What's the point of even posting this, aside from intentionally trying to start some kind of flame war. I didn't even click the link, and I don't intend to. Not because of what it may or may not say, but based on the warnings and the rules....why tempt fate?

The interesting part is, Neowin.net has several discussions going on about how people are growing tired of these ridiculous negative articles.

LOL Puterguru, so true... I'm loving Vista's stability and security, been running it 24/7 since mid april, with NO stability or security problems. The better windows gets, the more jealous the non-windows users get, which means more net rage.

Oh well that makes sense. I mean, after all, those Apple commercials are always 100% accurate and truthful. Never misleading, either.

cnet sucks

/thread

Honestly, they are the most biased site on the net and pretty much will be biased towards whoever pays them the most.

I love how they used to bash Canon and Epson photo printers and give the HP photo printers the highest marks...even though pretty much 90% of professionals agree that Epson is #1, Canon is #2 in the photo printing department for home/small business.

Then you notice who advertises on cnet...HP! Surprise Surprise. They do this with tons of other products as well, very annoying and it is truly stupid that they can be so popular and people believe them.

I wonder what Microsoft would have had to do to win an award for making a good OS.

Any OS significantly different from XP would suffer from a huge backlash of people saying "It's not XP!" Especially if compatibility was broken in the slightest. Microsoft is a victim of their own success with XP here. XP doesn't crash every five minutes, there's no huge problems with XP that make Vista a must-have fix.

Any OS too similar to XP would suffer from a huge "It's just eye candy!" backlash.

I wonder what Microsoft would have had to do to win an award for making a good OS.

Any OS significantly different from XP would suffer from a huge backlash of people saying "It's not XP!" Especially if compatibility was broken in the slightest. Microsoft is a victim of their own success with XP here. XP doesn't crash every five minutes, there's no huge problems with XP that make Vista a must-have fix.

Any OS too similar to XP would suffer from a huge "It's just eye candy!" backlash.

Yup,

The only thing people dont realize is Vista is a big improvment with speed of everyday tasks (thx to better memory management), easier more modern install (no booting into 800x600 res during the install process :rolleyes:) and many other things.

Drop down to last place.
And then when in last place, come up with a totally new feature (That they could actually develop while in first place), and then they would be hailed by all.

Seriously though... Everyone hates #1.
Take football for example. If it ain't your team, you hate them and wish them to lose ;)

Oh well that makes sense. I mean, after all, those Apple commercials are always 100% accurate and truthful. Never misleading, either.

I dunno, the "Choose A Vista" one is pretty accurate. My biggest gripe really. They could have come out with just a simple Home, Business and Ultimate version imo and done much better. Put Media Center in home, put the encryption and crap in business and put it all in Ultimate. Winner!

I dunno, the "Choose A Vista" one is pretty accurate. My biggest gripe really. They could have come out with just a simple Home, Business and Ultimate version imo and done much better. Put Media Center in home, put the encryption and crap in business and put it all in Ultimate. Winner!

So instead they came out with one more than you listed... :rolleyes:

Home Basic is needed as some machines cannot run Aero and should not run Media Center. Instead of getting people complaining about poor performance, they made a version without it.

Frankly all home users have to look for is Home Premium or Home Basic.

Ultimate is for enthusiasts and Business is for Businesses.

So instead they came out with one more than you listed... :rolleyes:

Home Basic is needed as some machines cannot run Aero and should not run Media Center. Instead of getting people complaining about poor performance, they made a version without it.

Frankly all home users have to look for is Home Premium or Home Basic.

Ultimate is for enthusiasts and Business is for Businesses.

In reality 90% of home users could get away with Basic just fine.

Business hasn't changed much.

Ultimate fits a very thin crowd (very few actually need everything it has).

IMO, Microsoft did a fantastic job.
They made a very cheap version, a good working OS (Basic) for the majority. Actually saving folks money by letting them by what they need, rather than "everything" (Although I will admit buying "everything" is easier).

I can't believe that any "reputable" news source uses DRM as an argument. I have yet to even notice any "effects" that it has, so honestly people need to STFU about that one. Also, they did it so that we can watch movies :eek:.

On another note, I seem to recall MS offered businesses the option to downgrade from XP to 2000 Pro when XP first came out. Therefore, by their logic, XP is also crap. :rolleyes:

Maybe if CNET learned how to use a damn computer or even just pulled their head out of there asses they might become worth reading again. I remember when they reviewed a subwoofer, and one of it's cons was seriously "we didn't like the finish." A-Holes.

Regardless of whether Vista is good or not. Would you buy an OS from someone who comes across like a cheesy used car salesman?
That's a good analogy, but also brings up a good point. If you were buying a car, and the salesman had any real affect on the "deal" you don't know what you are doing. You research the cars, research the expected pricing for that model, and set your acceptable prices. You decide if the product is right for you, and ignore everything a salesperson tells you.

Deciding not to buy Vista because you don't like Steve Ballmer's persona might possibly be the most ridiculous reason I've ever heard to avoid an MS product.

Why? Lots of people won't buy products from companies that use shady business practices. Some people won't shop at Walmart, not because they don't like their products, but because they don't like Walmart's businees practices.

Shady business practices are not the same thing as one individual's personality. Of course, if we were to avoid every company with shady business practices, we wouldn't have much to choose from in our society.

cnet sucks

/thread

Honestly, they are the most biased site on the net and pretty much will be biased towards whoever pays them the most.

I love how they used to bash Canon and Epson photo printers and give the HP photo printers the highest marks...even though pretty much 90% of professionals agree that Epson is #1, Canon is #2 in the photo printing department for home/small business.

Then you notice who advertises on cnet...HP! Surprise Surprise. They do this with tons of other products as well, very annoying and it is truly stupid that they can be so popular and people believe them.

Not saying I have anything against Cnet or Apple or that I'm the tin-foil-hat type, but did anyone else notice that Cnet (and a few other sites) suddenly started bashing Vista right before the launch of Leopard? Cnet had been saying Vista was generally OK for months.

The bad press puzzles me because I like Vista. I really thought it was going to be the next ME, but I've been using Vista 64-bit since February with almost no issues.

ill be enjoying my perfectly functioning, 64 bit vista with all 64 bit apps, no third party crap because just about everything is built in, and my blazing fast experience that puts my completely stripped xp partition and my minimal linux partition to shame :D

in fact ill be deleting xp and linux soon, vista has been that damn good of an experience for me.

ROFL! A definition of a pipe dream! :D

i agree with you, i did the upgrade from vista to xp and its been a good experience. everything works the same and i dont notice any performance hit in games. and my brother cant stand his leopard upgrade on his macbook. so i'm not sure what my point is besides that maybe people saying this crap about vista sucking havent used it. i'm crossing my fingers though cause i have a x-fi xtremegamer on the way.

I think that any time there is a drastic change, as in this case Vista, human nature is to reject it at first. Slowly as people warm up to something new, it gets accepted more and more. And Windows XP and it's counterparts are so damn old, that just further locks the public into what they've been using for the past decade (almost).

I must admit that I am skeptical on upgrading to Vista, but I just have to learn more about it, see if it will work with all of my apps, and just take the plunge. :cool:

I don't know wtf you people are smoking but Vista is SO clumsy, slow and cumbersome compared to a working XP enviroment. Every time I need to unpack or transfer files it's like 'come on get on with it!'. Hell the progress counter can't calculate the needed time untill the megaslow file copy operation is finished.

Adding to that are the super ugly GUI where normal functions are hidden in stupid places, windows take an extra 0.5 seconds to open due to lame Aero animation (that luckily can be disabled).

There are so many things to not like in Vista it's not even funny considering MS is forcing it to use everywhere.

I think that any time there is a drastic change, as in this case Vista, human nature is to reject it at first. Slowly as people warm up to something new, it gets accepted more and more. And Windows XP and it's counterparts are so damn old, that just further locks the public into what they've been using for the past decade (almost).

I must admit that I am skeptical on upgrading to Vista, but I just have to learn more about it, see if it will work with all of my apps, and just take the plunge. :cool:

Pretty good way to state it. Vista IMO is a good OS but not as refined as early as XP was against 98SE at the same time of usage back in history, but over time it will be even better than XP IMO. I have Vista on a partition and use it on two machines including the one in my sig and it runs fine. It suffers frame rate drops compared to XP in a few games but it's also a newer OS so I expect a little bit of that. Heck I ran Vista on a cheap ECS SIS 755 chipset board at first as beta and it ran great even with a non dual core.

Probably.

People more readily b*** and moan about something than praise it.

For ever 1 complainer there is probably 10 satisfied people (of course I just made that up, I'm sure the number is much higher).

That isn't only for OS. That's for MP3 players, hardware, you name it.

And forums are where people flock to to complain. They only flock to it for help, if they have issues. Very few people take the time to stop by and say "no problems!" (and quite frankly that's just not as engaging as helping someone solve a problem...)

Pretty good way to state it. Vista IMO is a good OS but not as refined as early as XP was against 98SE at the same time of usage back in history, but over time it will be even better than XP IMO. I have Vista on a partition and use it on two machines including the one in my sig and it runs fine. It suffers frame rate drops compared to XP in a few games but it's also a newer OS so I expect a little bit of that. Heck I ran Vista on a cheap ECS SIS 755 chipset board at first as beta and it ran great even with a non dual core.

It appears that not many people went from 2000 to XP. I'd imagine that 98SE to XP was a big jump though. Going from 2000 to XP I remember thinking "wtf, they released an 'eye-candy' edition of 2000?" There were less changes there than from XP to Vista in the GUI.

Cnet is like the average joe, they THINK they know alot, when in fact, they barely know which hole the shit comes out of.

Any true net and pc savvy user does not give them a second thought, it's all based on advertising money and idiot writers.

There's tons more, and better, info here on the [H], than at any wanna-be-software-or-hardware "review" site like CrapNet.

Back