Vista Window Edges: Always Teal?

WillHutcH

[H]ard|Gawd
After messing with all sorts of color variations on the vista theme, I can't seem to be able to get the teal edges off of the currently focused window. All other windows on screen look normal. Check the pic:

http://www.imagehosting.com/show.php/220082_tealedge.jpg.html

Image on the left is of a focused window, image on the right is an unfocused edge. This ugly teal is extremely irritating; picture doesn't really do it justice.

Anyone else noticed this?

Well I'm glad you've noticed it also. I'm surprised more people aren't commenting on this - it's super ugly, especially with a desktop theme where teal doesn't even remotely fit.

I dont know, you must be pretty damn picky about your desktop. Just maximize all your windows, problems solved.

I hadn't even noticed it until you brought it up. It doesn't really bother me, to tell the truth.

I dont know, you must be pretty damn picky about your desktop. Just maximize all your windows, problems solved.

That's just not practical. Who maximizes all their messenger windows? It's honestly not a big issue, but just something that should be fixable with a few clicks.

How did you get it to happen in the first place? Are you by any chance running the teal color scheme?

How did you get it to happen in the first place? Are you by any chance running the teal color scheme?

I'm on the graphite color scheme, but I've tried all variations of transparency/color scheme. The damn teal always highlights the bottom and right edges of the primary focused window.

I haven't seen any tweaks for getting rid of that (other than reducing the window border) but you could patch your uxtheme.dll and use an an entirely new theme if you're feeling kinky.

Gorgeous theme there. I'll be building a new machine tomorrow off a P4 2.4/Radeon 9550/1GB, just enough to be a Vista machine... and that's the theme I'll be installing. :D

Thanks for the heads up...

I think the Aero is good enough for me, ill pass on patching the dll for now....but i do tend to grow tired of things quick ( i have no gf :D )

There's a link to a replacement uxtheme.dll and the other necessary files on that DeviantArt page; there's no real need to "patch" the file currently in Vista, just renaming it and then dropping the already patched ones in place will do the trick.

So, even if you're not going to move to a new theme anytime soon, you should probably grab that pre-patched uxtheme.dll and supporting files while you can. Who knows when such files might just disappear... :p

I didn't replace everything I can but, I think I finally landed on a color scheme that I find really pleasing, and my Wife seems to like it too:

That new uxtheme.dll is pretty slick, I have to admit. Hope people start creating a lot more. If anyone's interested, here's the settings I chose in the Appearance sliders:

Next I'll "fix" the fonts so it's all SegoeUI across the board and that should be about it, then I'll image this puppy for safekeeping. :)

Back