Vista will not boot after mobo swap

• Thread starter Deleted member 184142
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 184142

Ok, I got a new mobo (P5Q Pro) so I could start upgrading my crap OEM PC. I got the board installed and vista failed to boot (something I was expecting) so I tried doing the repair install I had heard about and nope...Did a full restore and still nothing, I kept getting "Your system has detected a configuration error.....Code Purple"

Is this because its a preinstalled OEM Vista? Do I need to go out and buy a new retail copy of Vista?

I had ended up partitioning the drive and installing Ubuntu but I could not get it to recognize anything, from cd drives to my LAN (still working on it).

So I reinstalled the old board and restored Vista again without any problems.

Any ideas/suggestions? I am ordering my RAM kit today so I would like to have this all sorted by the time it comes in.

It's most likely drivers and configs. If it was due to just changing hardware in OEM, it would bring you to a Vista screen telling you its deactivated, and asking what you want to do.

Or something on the mobo is hosed if Ubuntu has issues as well

So what would be the best course to fix this?

Considering this is a new build, I'd back up my important data, and do a clean, fresh install on the new hardware. Start the new computer off right!

So go out and buy a new retail copy and install? As I had an image disk that I used to reformat and install windows, I am guessing this is not enough?

Bear with me, I have no idea what I am doing.

well, ive heard that from xp and on. if you change the mobo, it wont work. the mobo the windows was installed in have to be the same

You shouldn't have swapped the motherboard without backing up everything and planning to do a fresh installation of windows after.

You can get away with swapping pretty much anything else (aside from the boot hard drive) and windows will still start up. Motherboard, not a chance unless it's exactly the same model.

You shouldn't have swapped the motherboard without backing up everything and planning to do a fresh installation of windows after.

You can get away with swapping pretty much anything else (aside from the boot hard drive) and windows will still start up. Motherboard, not a chance unless it's exactly the same model.

I did, everything was backed up and I did do the install/reformat, however I did that from the factory image that came with the PC as it did not come with the windows OS disk.

So I wanted to know is this something with the OS, that is do I need to go out and pick up a copy of vista (64 this time) or is it the board (RMA time?).

You don't ned to buy a new key. What happens is that Vista boots and tries to load drivers for the old motherboard/disk channels etc ... but there it's not there or have changed with the new board. It's comon issue, even in XP, that when you need you install a new motherboard, you have to basically reinstall the OS. There is a program I've heard about that 'preps' your system but completely uninstalling your motherboard drivers and everything related, that way when vista boots it has to reinstall everything, but it will be installing the new stuff. I dont' know what this program is called though.

What you could do to fix this is, put your old board back in and then use this program and swap it again. Or, if you can boot in safe mode, you could probably try uninstalling motherboard drivers and trying to boot normally. If it comes down to it, will have to backup your data in safe mode and fresh install. You should always do this when you upgrade motherboard anyways.

Ok, so yall are saying this is 100% a software issue? As I said I did the whole thing from the factory image but I do not have a vista install disk so do I need to go out and buy one and do a fresh install the "right" way?

If its not the board then I have to go out and buy a copy, as I have gone as far as I can with the factory image. also forgot to say that for some reason on the other board my RAM showed up only as single channel, I just found that odd...

If you only have an OEM license and they didn't even give you a disk, then you're screwed out of a bunch of money. That's the terrible thing about prepackaged OS. Sometimes, they won't even give you the means to do a reformat.

First, try putting the old board back in to get back into vista (not safe mode) then use the program I suggested if you can find it, to remove the mobo drivers. Or you could try to do a Vista repair if you could get a disc, or maybe take it to a computer shop.

Also, a lot of the times, they put the vista/xp lisense key on the side of the case. If you can find another disc, just use that key again, but make sure you use the right disc (32bit / 64bit).

If you only have an OEM license and they didn't even give you a disk, then you're screwed out of a bunch of money. That's the terrible thing about prepackaged OS. Sometimes, they won't even give you the means to do a reformat.

Tell me about it, as HP only comes with the dang "disk image".

First, try putting the old board back in to get back into vista (not safe mode) then use the program I suggested if you can find it, to remove the mobo drivers. Or you could try to do a Vista repair if you could get a disc, or maybe take it to a computer shop.

Also, a lot of the times, they put the vista/xp lisense key on the side of the case. If you can find another disc, just use that key again, but make sure you use the right disc (32bit / 64bit).

I have the old board in and I am running on the reinstalled factory image. I have tried looking for the prog. but no luck so far, will keep on though.

If I pick up a new disk I am going with 64bit, no reason to not to a full fresh install if I have to go get a disk anyway seeing as I am running on a reformatted drive now as it is.

Ok, so yall are saying this is 100% a software issue? As I said I did the whole thing from the factory image but I do not have a vista install disk so do I need to go out and buy one and do a fresh install the "right" way?

If its not the board then I have to go out and buy a copy, as I have gone as far as I can with the factory image. also forgot to say that for some reason on the other board my RAM showed up only as single channel, I just found that odd...

Yes, this is 100% a problem with software. You need to format the drive and do a clean install of Windows Vista. The factory disk image won't work if you've changed to a different model motherboard.

Yes, this is 100% a problem with software. You need to format the drive and do a clean install of Windows Vista. The factory disk image won't work if you've changed to a different model motherboard.
The disk image won't work because it's set up for the old motherboard but he can remove the motherboard drivers and install a new one and it will work. And as long as he doesn't repair back to the old image, he'll be fine.

The disk image won't work because it's set up for the old motherboard but he can remove the motherboard drivers and install a new one and it will work. And as long as he doesn't repair back to the old image, he'll be fine.

Possibly, I'd bet that won't work in all cases.

Thanks, I was betting that would be the case, I planed on upgrading to 64 anyway, I guess it will just be sooner than planed.

I might give that a try but I am wondering what kind of stability trouble I might run into down the line.

Thanks, I was betting that would be the case, I planed on upgrading to 64 anyway, I guess it will just be sooner than planed.

I might give that a try but I am wondering what kind of stability trouble I might run into down the line.

It's been my experience that motherboard swaps with the drivers being removed, and re-loaded in a previous install either works very well or doesn't work at all. There isn't much in between.

I agree, I always fresh install my OS when I upgrade mobos, but w/o having the installation disc he doesn't have much of a choice.

I agree, I always fresh install my OS when I upgrade mobos, but w/o having the installation disc he doesn't have much of a choice.

Nope, I don't, but will soon, ordering a copy from the egg tonight. Was going to go with 64bit soon enough, might as well do it now.

Thanks for all the help!

Yeh, its pretty sorry that oems dont even give you the disk you payed for anymore. No they bundle it with their bloatware crap. Buying a clean Microsoft disk is probably your best bet.

Try getting a hold of HP and tell them that you need the Vista installation media for your system. If they let you have it, it should only be $10 or so. Make sure they know you're talking about plain OS install and not the full restore media.

To late, I already ordered a copy from the egg (hope it gets here tomorrow), wanted to go with 64bit anyway.

Try getting a hold of HP and tell them that you need the Vista installation media for your system. If they let you have it, it should only be $10 or so. Make sure they know you're talking about plain OS install and not the full restore media.

I've never heard of an OEM that provides restore disks doing that and I've been in this business a long time.

I've never heard of an OEM that provides restore disks doing that and I've been in this business a long time.

HP/Compaq would send you the restore disc for a small fee. That may have changed since the last time I had to get a set in 2006. As for plain Windows discs, that's why I said "If they let you have it."

I know Gateway and Dell sends a installation media with their system. They're locked to the BIOS of the respective manufacturers, but it's a plain Windows install.

Back