Vista USB Mouse/Keyboard Woes

motioneso

n00b
So I upgraded to Vista two nights ago. I really wanted to utilize the Media Center (we get Vista Ultimate for $20 through my school) and it was great, for a day. Last night I had to restart for a few updates, including driver updates for a new webcam, when something crazy happened. After the computer restart I logged back in to finish driver installation, everything worked fine for about 10 seconds, but then my mouse and keyboard stopped working. I figured it was the wireless messing up again, so I grabbed the wired ones, but they too aren't responding. I restart with hopes of it fixing, get to the log in screen where I am able to type in my password and click on login. Once again, a few seconds and the mouse and keyboard stop responding. I did some research (actually quite a bit, I was pretty frustrated) and decided to try to restore windows to an earlier version. So I load up the CD choose to restore to my first of the two options (since it's so new there weren't many points captured) and restart to log in and... it works! In the process of finding the problem I unplugged everything and plugged only my monitor, power, and mouse back in, so I had to replug everything back in to get a functional computer. I restart my machine only to find that after log in, they don't work again. I can go into safe mode fine, everything works there. I tried uninstalling the USB drivers and HID devices, all to no avail. I'm going to snag a PS/2 mouse from work and hopefully get these drivers working properly, but I though I would question the collective genius that is [H]ard|Forum. Any ideas or experience? I'd like to keep Vista, I'm not the kind of person to jump ship and return very quickly.

You mentioned driver updates in the beginning, so I'm guessing something went wonky with your chipset drivers. I'd try reinstalling the latest ones again.

I had this issue, too. the Intel chipset drivers disabled my USB adaptors. I wound up using PS2 mouse and keyboard until I could uninstall the Intel drivers.

Well, I went into safemode, enabled the UAC and for some reason, it worked. I really don't think it was related to that perhaps it just kicked something else out too. Either way, I'm back to working order. Thanks for the help!

Well, I went into safemode, enabled the UAC and for some reason, it worked. I really don't think it was related to that perhaps it just kicked something else out too. Either way, I'm back to working order. Thanks for the help!

Good to hear!:) Yeah, I agree with you, something else was going on, sounds like some drivers were a little hosed. I know UAC is mush reviled, but give it a chance. If you are being nagged by certain apps there are ways to exempt them from UAC purview, that topic is all over the net and these forums.

Back