Vista Upgrade

05_GTO

n00b
Alright well I'm thinking of buying the Vista Ultimate Upgrade. Though with this computer mostly being used used for gaming, photoshop and the web I'm not so sure about it. Also what about my antivirus and other software, will all that work with Vista?

Well, since you neglected to provide practically any useful info other than you're going to get the Ultimate upgrade and you'll be gaming and using Photoshop (and we don't know which version), you could help us help you by providing an inventory of your hardware covering the basics (CPU/RAM/Hard drives/Sound card/etc) as well as the software you have now or are considering buying.

Once I/we get that kind of info, then I/we can get started on answering the question...

Aye, I forgot to list the info.

EVGA NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard | Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe | EVGA GeForce 8800GTS 640MB | Western Digital Raptor 150GB 10,000 RPM & Western Digital Raptor 74GB 10,000 RPM HDD's | Kingston HyperX 2GB DDR2 (PC2 7200)... I have 2GB's more but with XP it's pointless to install | X-Fi XtremeGamer 7.1 Sound Card | Windows XP Pro

I'm still using the old Photoshop 6.0, it works good enough for me so I see no reason to upgrade. Antivirus is Norton 360.

honestly i'd pick up an OEM full version

other than that, Nvidia drivers aren't up to snuff yet. i'd wait. stick with XP...if you wanna pick up Vista and not install it until you need it more power to you.

honestly i'd pick up an OEM full version

other than that, Nvidia drivers aren't up to snuff yet. i'd wait. stick with XP...if you wanna pick up Vista and not install it until you need it more power to you.
This was one of the main things I was wondering about. I know they got out new updates for Nvidia but how good are they?

It seems to be half and half about people liking or not liking Vista. I also know that some computer companies have started to offer XP again, especially on their gaming systems. Though I have also read that the new hardware runs faster on Vista than XP after the first few weeks of use.

Also the Vista Ultimate Upgrade is quite expensive seeing as how you can get a OEM Vista 64-Bit Home Premium for $120. Is the Ultimate that much better than the Premium?

This was one of the main things I was wondering about. I know they got out new updates for Nvidia but how good are they?

It seems to be half and half about people liking or not liking Vista. I also know that some computer companies have started to offer XP again, especially on their gaming systems. Though I have also read that the new hardware runs faster on Vista than XP after the first few weeks of use.

Also the Vista Ultimate Upgrade is quite expensive seeing as how you can get a OEM Vista 64-Bit Home Premium for $120. Is the Ultimate that much better than the Premium?

SLI still seems to be broken for the 8 series users...maybe the 7 series as well. You can read up on that and other issues in the Vid Card forums if you like.

As i said in another thread, you're gonna see more complaints about Vista here because its a forum and ppl have questions they want answered or gripes to be made known. And I guess it depends on the hardware. For me, all of my stuff works...except an Epson printer that is sitting here but I haven't needed to use it yet so its ok.

OEMs will always be cheaper. Since you need to buy hardware with it, just pick up a rounded cable or something. Thats all it takes. As for Ultimate...if you need the networking features of Business with the stuff from Home Premium then I suggest you get it. Otherwise if its just for home use and you're not connecting to a computer remotely to do work or anything like that, save the money and stick with Home Premium

If that's the case I think Vista would work well for me.

This computer is just for me for home use so the Premium should work for me. As far as just buying the OEM vs the upgrade what would I have to do to intall it, remove my old OS system then put on the new one?

If that's the case I think Vista would work well for me.

This computer is just for me for home use so the Premium should work for me. As far as just buying the OEM vs the upgrade what would I have to do to install it, remove my old OS system then put on the new one?

I can send you a document that I made myself on how to use the Upgrade exploit. Also for the love of God Almighty do NOT buy the OEM version! IT has zero (0) support from MS so that translates into the fact that if you install Vista and activate w/the key that u have on hand and try to reinstall it again it will NOT work b/c it'll install once. Saving $70 bucks isn't that useful when u can only install it once! Heed my words! :cool:

I would just run the Upgrade Advisor.

It's pretty useless for telling you what version you need (for instance, if you don't have a TV tuner card, its going to give you a recommendation for "Basic" right away).

It IS good for checking compatibility. It will check your hardware and software at least.

I recommend uninstalling most of your programs before running the upgrade. Not only do some programs probably have Vista versions (which you want), it's good to install things how you want them within Vista.

Also, are you Academically involved in any way? Student, Teacher, Parent? You can get pretty good rates on Home Premium Upgrades (I got mine for $70).

Without going into too much detail, Vista installs even upgrades cleanly. It caches your documents and programs, totally wipes XP, installs Vista, and then copies your stuff over to Vista. It's really a clean install either way, I just think you should uninstall your programs before you upgrade though (The big ones like anti virus, etc that have Vista versions availible).

I can send you a document that I made myself on how to use the Upgrade exploit. Also for the love of God Almighty do NOT buy the OEM version! IT has zero (0) support from MS so that translates into the fact that if you install Vista and activate w/the key that u have on hand and try to reinstall it again it will NOT work b/c it'll install once. Saving $70 bucks isn't that useful when u can only install it once! Heed my words! :cool:

You should be able to activate it as many times as you want, OEM or retail, the exception being that you will be required to call them after so many activations.

They all seem to ship the 32bit versions, then they say has info on how to get the 64bit. Is there anyone that sells the 64bit, if not what do you have to do to get it?

You should be able to activate it as many times as you want, OEM or retail, the exception being that you will be required to call them after so many activations.

Trust me they changed the rules concerning OEM versions. You can call them up saying that your Mobo got fried and they be sympathetic but they'll not be when they see that you made 14 calls concerning activation in the past week.

Back