Vista update question ;

KB24

n00b
When I do my Vista updates it's telling me that my system utilities need to be updated and go to the manufactures website (in this case being HP) . Has this happened with anyone ? Does Vista check your manufactures website for updates ; for drivers ; bios's, etc ?

Thank You In advance ;

Nope, Vista does not check those sites. Nor does any other version of Windows. Nor has it done, ever!

You have to visit the manufacturer website yourself and locate suitable downloads for your system. The fact that Vista can detect and prompt you about missing/incompatible drivers and utilities is somewhat of a bonus, though. At least you get a warning about it :D

oh so it lets you know that you have outdated drivers and you should check your manufacturers website ?

In some circumstances it reports on such things, but not in the snese that your drivers are 'outdated'. It'll be reporting that you have stuff installed which doesn't work properly or stuff missing which you need.

It will also report on any drivers vendors have submitted to MS to be included in Windows Update. For example, the core ATi video drivers will usually be available in Windows Update about a week or so after the Catalyst release. So Windows Update might have something newer than what you have installed, but it should never be newer than what the actual vendor has available (at best, it might be a tie).

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/winlogo/drvsign/WinUp.mspx has the hoops vendors have to jump through to have their drivers published by MS. It's no different than WHQL certification, with the only difference being a legal addendum for third-party distribution.

Back