Vista Ultimate x64 - Strange Issues / Wonky Updates! WTF?

GeForceX

Supreme [H]ardness
Hey guys,

I installed Windows Vista x64 with no problems at all. The installation and progress was slow but eventually works out great. Now I bring my PC over to college and it was great until just suddenly I noticed a couple of strange things:

- Avira AntiVir keeps popping up saying "your update is 3 days old" and asks me to download it *over and over and over*.
- Windows Update (left on autonotify) keeps saying "there are new updates" and suggested I download SP1... BUT I ALREADY HAVE IT! And it keeps suggesting I download other things too when I have it already too. That's silly.
- I have two NIC connections on my mobo (Gigabyte EP45-DS3R) and Windows Vista decided to stop one NIC from working referring to a "Local only" access. I am aware that a lot of people have similar issues online but... this is ridiculous. I had to switch to my other NIC so it'll work but... it's only a matter of time before that one decides to break too.

What's going on? Why is Vista being retarded? :(

1. Don't know, don't use that AV. (I use what I believe is a better one, but some might call me biased...)
2. net stop Windows Update
a) delete C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution
b) net start Windows Update
3. Don't know. Uninstall the driver and re-enable it?

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Go into power options and disable powering off Ethernet devices(nics), also go into device manager and click on both and disable 'allow low power mode'.

@ Ranma_Sao: Saying "don't use that AV" isn't good advice. I've used this AV for a long time across XP and Vista and it works excellent. It's not an AV issue - it's a Windows Vista issue.

Uninstalling the driver for the NIC doesn't do anything. Again, Windows Vista problem. My other NIC works though but I assume it had not been affected by software changes.

Recently the second NIC decided to stop working once I disconnected/reconnected the ethernet cable. I had to manually input all gateway, DNS, and IP information on there just so it would work. I think Vista's network management is either buggy or poorly implemented.

@ bigdogchris: That doesn't change the NIC's connectivity since it's accessing "local only".

You misunderstood me. I didn't advise not to use that AV, I said I didn't know how to fix it, since I don't use that AV software...

Back