Vista Ultimate - To 64bit or not...

TechLarry

RIP [H] Brother - June 1, 2022
I'll be putting together a new machine shortly, and it will run Vista Ultimate.

I've never run a 64-bit version of Windows (XP or Vista), so I'm not sure how 32-Bit software will react under the 64-bit OS.

Does it run slower? Do 32-bit programs have issues talking to 64-bit drivers for hardware (such as my Creative X-FI Elite Pro and nVidia 8800GTX) ?

How about Games?

My general software list consists of:

Quicken 2007
NOD32
Office 2007
Visio 2007
Guitar Pro 5.1
DVD Profiler
VNC
Adobe Photoshop Elements 5
Adobe Premeir Elements 3
Nero 7.5.x
FireFox 2.x
Yahoo Music Engine
DiskKeeper Premier Pro 2007
Winzip 11.1
Dymo LabelWriter Software
Canon LiDe 600f Scanner
Samsung 2151N Laser
Dell 3100CN Color Laser
Canon i950 InkJet
Canon Pixma i8500 InkJet

Games include:

Silent Hunter 4
Supreme Commander
Half-Life 2
etc...

I also have a custom peoplesoft app to deal with, as well as SecureClient (currently under beta for Vista).

I'm in a real blind spot on this one :)

Thanks!

32-bit software should work fine in the 64-bit environment, as long as it is reasonably well behaved.

From your list, I have used (successfully):
NOD32
Office 2007
Visio 2007
Nero 7.5.x
FireFox 2.x
Winzip 11.1

DVD Profiler 2.4 or the beta 2.5 have been somewhat flaky for me. And, with the ongoing legal battles, I haven't been able to download/try version 3.0 yet.

Devices are a bigger issue - have you checked with Canon/Dymo/Dell to see if they have 64-bit drivers available?

Gaming - I've had no major issues that were specific to 64-bit Vista. (http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1030603240&postcount=27 and http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1030627058&postcount=35 have more details, at least as of the time...)

Adobe products work. Least PS CS2 and Illustrator CS2 do. HL2 also works. Most if not all Steam games work. Though COD2 multiplayer doesn't work for me. I think its having the same problem that BF2142 demo does. I dunno what that is yet.

biggest prob i have had so far is codecs for 64bit wmp/mce. the 32 bit wmp works fine though.

According to the HardOCP article, the 64bit was more stable than 32bit.

DVD Profiler legal issues? Uh, oh... What's going on there?

I actually have 3.0. Did they pull the download? I hope it still works as it's already updated my library to the new format, and I have over 600 DVD's in there!

The rest is pretty good news :) I'll check on those driver versions for the printers.

Thanks!

32-bit software should work fine in the 64-bit environment, as long as it is reasonably well behaved.

From your list, I have used (successfully):
NOD32
Office 2007
Visio 2007
Nero 7.5.x
FireFox 2.x
Winzip 11.1

DVD Profiler 2.4 or the beta 2.5 have been somewhat flaky for me. And, with the ongoing legal battles, I haven't been able to download/try version 3.0 yet.

Devices are a bigger issue - have you checked with Canon/Dymo/Dell to see if they have 64-bit drivers available?

Gaming - I've had no major issues that were specific to 64-bit Vista. (http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1030603240&postcount=27 and http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1030627058&postcount=35 have more details, at least as of the time...)

DVD Profiler legal issues? Uh, oh... What's going on there?

I actually have 3.0. Did they pull the download? I hope it still works as it's already updated my library to the new format, and I have over 600 DVD's in there!

The rest is pretty good news :) I'll check on those driver versions for the printers.

Thanks!

Apparently - the creator was part of Company A, which released versions up through 2.4. He left, started Company B, and released version 3.0. As of this weekend, Company B's website was down, and dvdprofiler.com, which had pointed to Company B, now points back to Company A. As a result, version 3.0 wasn't available for download. (According to the Wikipedia entry, Company A has filed an injunction against Company B...so for now, Company B is silent, including its user database). From what I hear - as long as you set up 3.0 before they went down, it should still work okay. New installations, however, won't work correctly...

Oddly enough - most of the news has come from Company A's public forum. They haven't interfered with users' ability to discuss what they know and speculate on the rest.

I should add - it sounds like all parties want to resolve this amicably...it may just take a while for that to happen.

Man,that's ugly. I'm gonna save a CSV version of my database just in case!

As for Vista 64, I've read enough here and in other threads.

I'm sticking with 32.

Thanks!

Back