Vista Ultimate Questions

NukeULater

Gawd
Okay you know the $400 retail Vista Ultimate box. I read that it comes with a 32 and 64 bit disks. Can you install both of those or just one at a time? Should I just purchase 32 and 64 bit OEM home premiums?

Okay you know the $400 retail Vista Ultimate box. I read that it comes with a 32 and 64 bit disks. Can you install both of those or just one at a time? Should I just purchase 32 and 64 bit OEM home premiums?

I wasn't aware it came with both versions...
If it does (maybe someone else knows for sure), it depends how many keys you get. If you have one key- you can only use one version...

But Microsoft has always treated the 64 bit versions of their Operating Systems as a totally seperate OS... I wouldn't think you get two OS in the same box, if you know what I mean.

Yes.. Ultimate retail comes with both versions... and you can install only one to the best of my knowledge.. one key=one install.

Thats what I thought. But just one more question, after you install 32 bit vista. If you format your hard drive, can you install 64 bit vista with the same key?

Yes if you don't activate it.

When you install it'll prompt you for the activation key. Ignore this and you'll be able to use vista for a 30 day "trial" period. Use that time to figure out which version you want.

I personally couldn't stand 64bit for its lack of compatibility with temp monitoring software and other stuff.

Running x64 Vista Ultimate with all my development, graphic, photographic, gaming (Let me be more specific, two games) and temp monitoring (Everest) software. I really have no software issues except for the persistent inadequacies of video drivers. But they are getting better and soon we'll have another release.

I'd just go ahead and migrate over to x64 if you have the option easily available to you.

Everything said above me is true. One key, means only one can be installed at a time.

As mentioned Ultimate comes with two DVD's 32 and 64 bit. But, it only comes with one Product Key, which means you can activate it only on one box.

You could consider getting one copy of Ultimate then use the family upgrade offer to buy a copy of Home Premium for $50. Since you use the same DVD that came with Ultimate you'll be able to install either 32 or 64-bit version using the Home Premium license.

As mentioned Ultimate comes with two DVD's 32 and 64 bit. But, it only comes with one Product Key, which means you can activate it only on one box.

You could consider getting one copy of Ultimate then use the family upgrade offer to buy a copy of Home Premium for $50. Since you use the same DVD that came with Ultimate you'll be able to install either 32 or 64-bit version using the Home Premium license.
Be careful here, the downloadable Vista products have a way more restrictive EULA, in the sense that they are only allowed on just one pc, just like OEM.Besides that, there are quite a few posts springing up on various forums, about problems with this anytime upgrade etc downloaded products. The hard disc is the best way to go, be it retail or oem. At least you aren't dealing with some 2 bit outfit that managesthis program. MS it seems, outsourced this part of the Vista rollout and everyone is passing the buck about who is gonna help you, in the event of a problem. It seems the "Not ME " attitude is very prevelent. Food for thought.

Back