Vista Ultimate Licensing Question

TechLarry

RIP [H] Brother - June 1, 2022
There's something I can't quite get an answer from in the Vista Ultimate License:

When I build my new machine, I'm thinking of going 64-bit. However, since it is a production machine, I want to tread carefully since I'm not sure all my software will run on the 64-bit version.

What I was going to do was install Vista 32 bit, then install again a dual-boot of Vista 64-bit.

Now, I know I could do this with two 32-bit copies in dual-boot on the same machine, but will having one of them 32 bit and one of them 64 bit screw with product activation or that never-ending nag known as Genuine Windows Validation ?

There's something I can't quite get an answer from in the Vista Ultimate License:

When I build my new machine, I'm thinking of going 64-bit. However, since it is a production machine, I want to tread carefully since I'm not sure all my software will run on the 64-bit version.

What I was going to do was install Vista 32 bit, then install again a dual-boot of Vista 64-bit.

Now, I know I could do this with two 32-bit copies in dual-boot on the same machine, but will having one of them 32 bit and one of them 64 bit screw with product activation or that never-ending nag known as Genuine Windows Validation ?

Most likely. Now, you can run for 30 days without activation, so if that's sufficient time to test and allay your fears, you're fine. For a longer term dual boot - you might be out of luck. (I attempted to do the same thing. After 30 days, I was asked to activate. I activated the 64-bit one first since that's the one I thought I'd stick with, no issues. When I activated the 32-bit one, it told me that the key was already in use.) That was a while back (early March), so I don't know if the error was prompted by having just activated the key a short time before in 64-bit land or if it would be a legitimate and persistent problem...

Was this Vista Ultimate ?

Most likely. Now, you can run for 30 days without activation, so if that's sufficient time to test and allay your fears, you're fine. For a longer term dual boot - you might be out of luck. (I attempted to do the same thing. After 30 days, I was asked to activate. I activated the 64-bit one first since that's the one I thought I'd stick with, no issues. When I activated the 32-bit one, it told me that the key was already in use.) That was a while back (early March), so I don't know if the error was prompted by having just activated the key a short time before in 64-bit land or if it would be a legitimate and persistent problem...

Back