Vista Ultimate -> Home Premium

drdeutsch

2[H]4U
I'm ready to go Vista from XP - all my hardware has 64-bit drivers available. I've been reading about the differences and obviously Home Premium is definitely good. I'm wondering about Vista Ultimate though. On the off chance that the Ultimate Extras end up being worthwile, is it worthwhile to go that route?

I'm looking for feedback from people that have tried both - any peformance issues (one running better than the other), or any other feedback that would be helpful? Yes, I have searched and read several threads - someone said Ultimate ran slower than Home Premium; others said the Ultimate Extras may be worthwhile in the future.

Any additional insight? I'll probably go Ultimate unless there's a good case for going Home Premium.

One more question: should I assume that, like XP, if I install Vista on particular hardware and then upgrade later on (mobo, proc, ram), that I'll have to completely reinstall?
Thanks.

One more question: should I assume that, like XP, if I install Vista on particular hardware and then upgrade later on (mobo, proc, ram), that I'll have to completely reinstall?
Thanks.

You will only have to reactivate.

I'm ready to go Vista from XP - all my hardware has 64-bit drivers available. I've been reading about the differences and obviously Home Premium is definitely good. I'm wondering about Vista Ultimate though. On the off chance that the Ultimate Extras end up being worthwile, is it worthwhile to go that route?

I'm looking for feedback from people that have tried both - any peformance issues (one running better than the other), or any other feedback that would be helpful? Yes, I have searched and read several threads - someone said Ultimate ran slower than Home Premium; others said the Ultimate Extras may be worthwhile in the future.

Any additional insight? I'll probably go Ultimate unless there's a good case for going Home Premium.

At this point in time, unless there's a specific Ultimate feature you need, it probably isn't worth the cost. Are you planning on buying OEM or retail? If retail - you can take advantage of the Windows Upgrade Anytime program to move up to Ultimate in case any extras start coming out that would be worth while with no change in the net cost. (You can move up with an OEM copy as well, but it would cost more in the end than just getting Ultimate OEM right now.)

Performance-wise: I've seen no difference between the two.

Thanks LhasaCM. That's pretty good advice and more or less what I was looking for.

How much does the upgrade anytime cost? If I went with home premium and then used the Upgrade Anytime to Ultimate, would I get an Ultimate disk or would I - during a reinstall - have to reinstall HP and then re-upgrade to Ultimate?

Thanks.

When you go to do the online upgrade from HP, it gives you options of retailers. I think the cheapest was Sam's at around $145. They topped out at $159 IIRC.

You will have to install HP first every time then unlock ultimate if you go that route.

Also - it's the same media for all Vista versions, so you would not get new media. If you don't have media, you can order it at that time for a nominal fee...

The price differences were set up so that there wouldn't be any sort of out of pocket penalty for retail customers moving up the chain (i.e., price of Home Premium plus price of Anytime Upgrade to Ultimate equals price of Ultimate). Buying OEM skews things against this path from a strictly pricing standpoint...

Back