Vista Ultimate: Hard drive listed as "Removable Device"??

RagingSamster

2[H]4U
Rig in Sig
It identifies the WD500GB SATA drive as a SCSI device, anyone have insight into the wierdness?

I am not truely impressed with Vista so far - frame rates are very similar to my 7800GT and 4000 64 single core. Is there any after load tweakage that needs to go on - my Frames in TF2 were less than the 7800GT - I did have everything cranked on the 8800 GT though.

FEAR with everything cranked (except soft shadows) was a powerpoint presentation with a busted slide clicker.

Doh! just saw the FAQ - no answer to the removable device tghing but I have some tweaks now to try to improve performance.

Is there a site like the old "Black Viper" XP services tweak site for XP specifically targetted at Vista?

Doh! just saw the FAQ - no answer to the removable device tghing but I have some tweaks now to try to improve performance

It's a hot swappable drive and therefore it's going to show up as removable because......it is removable:)

And really, before you go off and start tweaking everything, give it a couple of weeks to optimize itself...Vista just takes a bit of time to really smooth out....

rather than wait for itself to optimize itself, go and get the fixes necessary for this

There are a bunch of hotfixes from microsoft that specifically address game performance. They will NOT show up on Windows Update. Once downloaded and installed, you will find performance within a few percentage points of XP.

I counted at least 13 that I downloaded and installed above the beta service pack I installed.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...9D-C33D-48DB-A7E3-62EEF7C1F7C2&displaylang=en

If you look at the bottom of that page you will see a "What others are downloading" get those hotfixes.

As for the system smoothing itself out you will have to enable and disable things you don't want.

For me, I disabled windows search (drives are fairly organized so I don't require it), automatic defrag, windows defender, etc I let them run their scans at 4 am to keep my system ok, but unless you specify it to it will decide to do things when you least expect it.

Awesome stuff guys! thanks! As soon as I get out of Les Schwab's (getting brakes done) I'm going to optimize in earnest.

If you had setup the SATA HDD as IDE mode in the bios then it wouldn't show as a removable device. Don't go changing it now though as you have already installed the SATA driver for it.

rather than wait for itself to optimize itself, go and get the fixes necessary for this

There are a bunch of hotfixes from microsoft that specifically address game performance. They will NOT show up on Windows Update. Once downloaded and installed, you will find performance within a few percentage points of XP.

I counted at least 13 that I downloaded and installed above the beta service pack I installed.

There's really no need for that many. While I admit there are a few you might want to grab, you don't need to get every beta everything just because it's out.

Get the latest graphics drivers and then a few from here, and you should be set.

I've noticed the same SCSI behavior in XP with my WD drive, so go figure. I'll assume its just something to do with the firmware in the drive. Does it really matter to me? No. It works and is reasonably fast.

Back