Vista Ultimate bootmgr

Mabrito

Supreme [H]ardness
I just replaced my 680i motherboard for a Asus P45 motherboard. I have two hard drives in my system: one for applications and one for games. When I installed Vista, I installed it on my application drive and it was fine. I went to format my old game drive and Vista said it cant format it. So I start investigating and notice that the bootmgr is on the secondary drive which Vista needs to boot. How do I put the bootmgr and any other boot related item onto the primary/application drive so I can format this drive?

I just replaced my 680i motherboard for a Asus P45 motherboard. I have two hard drives in my system: one for applications and one for games. When I installed Vista, I installed it on my application drive and it was fine. I went to format my old game drive and Vista said it cant format it. So I start investigating and notice that the bootmgr is on the secondary drive which Vista needs to boot. How do I put the bootmgr and any other boot related item onto the primary/application drive so I can format this drive?
You can try this guide to do a repair (worked for me in the past).

But I'm not sure if that will work since the partition you have Windows installed on is probably not active. If the above link doesn't help you, you can repeat the process but load the command prompt window so you can run the diskpart utility. You are going to use this to set the active partition. At the command prompt type diskpart. Once at the diskpart prompt, you can then type 'list disk' which will give you a list of disks if you have more than one. Find the number of the disk you need to run 'select disk #'. This gives that disk focus. Next, run 'list partition' to get a list of partitions or if you only have one then run 'select partition 1'. Run the command 'active' to set the partition as the active one. Reboot, change your boot drive in the bios to the one holding the Windows installation and run the Vista install again and attempt to repair the installation.

I had a similar problem the other day when I cloned my installation to a new drive and it wouldn't boot. I had to run a repair from the Vista DVD to fix the boot process.

Back