Vista Ultimate 64bit, so far so good.

djoye

2[H]4U
Since I finally have a setup that I assumed would run Vista just fine I decided to take the plunge (go all out) and go for the 64bit version to get the most out of my system (4GB RAM and more in the future for sure). I was expecting the worst but I had only some minor issues.

At first Vista gave me this damn error about none of my disks meeting the criteria required for installation. :mad: Turns out I had to disconnect all but the hard drive I was installing the OS on... YOU SON OF A BBbbbb. Secondly I had a problem with Team Fortress 2 giving this VC++ crash; after redownloading the game, updating video drivers, applying various OS updates the crash finally stopped after updating to SP1. Those were the only two issues and everything else seems to be running fine compared to my XP64 experience, heh.

I'm actually surprised at how quickly it loads up and operates. At work we have a few people on Vista and it's terrible. They're running on Intel 2.2GHz dual core laptops w/2GB RAM and loading times are bad and everything just seems to take forever. With what I have it really feels just about as fast as XP32, I can barely believe it. I think I can also actually see the improvement in DX10 games, the water looks better in UT3 and Bioshock or something.

I used to really dislike Vista because of all the difficulties we have with it at work but I think I'm really happy with it on my home PC. Driver support is here (finally, heh) and software compatibility is definitely there.

Been running Vista 64 on my MacBook Pro since SP1 was released. It's been very good to me too.

Back