Vista Ultimate 64 Student - Need it fast and to do a system build

Galerius

n00b
I need to find a place to get Vista 64 Ultimate and I need it pretty darn quick. I am doing a clean install and I do have a retail version of XP so I can use an upgrade.

The question is, how do I use a digital download to put Vista on my new machine? I am building an i7 system w/ a foxconn bloodrage motherboard (if that matters).

Can I use a flash drive? Can I download it and burn it?

Any help is appreciated.

you CAN install from a USB stick. I did it with my AAO.

use xcopy to copy the entire contents of the install disk to an NTFS formatted flash drive. Then run the bootsect /nt60 command. Very easy.

I can give you the full instructions if you want to do that.

That would be awesome to get the flash working.

To respond to the first reply, does that mean when you download you get an ISO? I am using my macbook right now and just want to make sure if I DL it I can actually burn/copy to something else.

I just wanted to dot my i's and cross my t's.

I'm not a student so I don't know about ultimate steal, but all of MS's other direct programs like TechNet and MSDN give you download access to the ISOs.

Ultimate steal doesn't give you an iso, you have to create it (or, they'll send you a disk for $15 extra; it seems to be hit or miss, as a friend of mine in an apartment complex never got hers, but I got mine at home in 3-4 days). There's guides floating around that will tell you how to create the ISO, and the steps are slightly different for 32-bit and 64-bit versions. IIRC, your copy of XP won't help or be necessary, because the upgrade only works if you're upgrading to 32-bit Vista. However, there's a way to get a full install with just an upgrade version: do a clean install with the upgrade disk, don't enter the key; then run it as an upgrade on your new install, use the key, and it should be fully functional.

Back