Vista Ultimate 32 or 64bit???

GriffTech

n00b
I have no idea which one to get, can anyone help me decide what is the best direction to go.

I am building my first new PC in 5 years and getting all new hardware.
Q6600
8800 GTS 640Mb
Gigabyte P35- DSR
2 to 4 Gb of mem, haven't decided which

etc etc

well i would recommend xp media center edition over either, i had vista 64 for 2 days and then went back to xp , but if i had 2 choose between vista i would recommend the 32 bit edition unless you plan on having more than 3 gb memory, that is the biggest advantage to the 64 bit OS is that it has the ability to access more system memory and it has the potential to be faster but i don't think theres that much of an advantage right now over the 32 bit version and if you don't really need or have more than 3 gb memory you may save a few headaches by going with the 32 bit version
i do believe that in the future tha advantages of a 64 bit OS will be great, but i think that is a few years from now and probably in the next version of windows

For the most part, 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Vista will have the same support. For Vista, drivers for both 32 and 64-bit are required.

With that being said, I see no reason not to go 64-bit. You get the added advantage of 64-bit applications, and can handle more memory. Even if you are only going to have 2GB of memory now, upgrading to more later will be a breeze.

Go 64-bit.

For the most part, 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Vista will have the same support. For Vista, drivers for both 32 and 64-bit are required.

With that being said, I see no reason not to go 64-bit. You get the added advantage of 64-bit applications, and can handle more memory. Even if you are only going to have 2GB of memory now, upgrading to more later will be a breeze.

Go 64-bit.

QFT!

If you're going with Vista, definitely go with the x64 route. Giving up on Vista after 2 days isn't really giving Vista a chance to shine. As most know who give Vista a try, one of the primary advantages is the caching methods. That takes atleast a week of usage, so the PC can be optimized for your usage. You'll see this yourself if you choose to go with Vista.

I have a 32bit vista, with 4gig of ram, but pc only recognizes 3.5gb

2 cents here.
I have 64 bit Home Premium and have had a bunch of headaches.
I like it, dont get me wrong. It works.
But, Bioshock wont get off the ground.
I cant seem to get Steam to work correctly such that I can run my already purchased game discs.

I'm sure I'm doing something stupid with Steam, and Bioshock has gotten a bad rap in Vista (I dont think it was really ready to go)......so this is a small sample.

I'm very tempted to go and reformat with 32 bit Vista and just be happy with that. Yes I have 4 GB of RAM, but if I can get 3.5 to work with out all the headache Ive had so far, maybe thats ok. I'm sort of getting the Windows ME feeling with Vista 64......just alot of little shitty things not working well.

I have had Vista 64 from release date. It was rocky at first, but now all of the drivers are rock solid and gaming has never been better. If you are building a new computer to last you for some years, definitely go Vista 64. You will not regret it.

If you know you have supported software and hardware, I would just go to 64-bit straight off. I installed x64 Ultimate over the weekend and I am loving it so far, plus I can now use my 4+ GB memory (could only use 3.2 GB in 32-bit XP).

Back