Vista Ultimate 32 bit or 64 bit??

hk09

Limp Gawd
I am think about change my vista from 32 bit to 64 bit. Can anyone tell what the difference between those two? Should I upgrade it?

As far as differences you need to be concerned about driver and software compatibility. For new stuff this isn't an issue but if you have older hardware and software that you need to run check on compatibility before upgrading.

End user differences are minimal. With more memory at its disposal, x64 can run smoother.

I wanted to put more ram into my computer. maybe 4gb ram.....

I think I would because the crucial ram is kind of cheap after MIR.. :)

As is always the case, no one else is going to be able to answer this but you. There's more than enough information out there for you to know if your system will run it or not, such as if all of your hardware drivers are available. However, you pretty much answered the question already, since you said you will probably go to 4 GB of memory.

You're not even going to be able to tell the difference at 4 GB. I've run both at 4. With the 32 bit I got 3.25, with 64 bit, I get all 4. However, I've never hit the limits of either. For me the biggest issue is do you want to reinstall everything, and can you find replacements for the things that won't work on 64 bit. Yes, there are a few. Not many, depends on what you run and how much it means to you.

I ran Vista x64 with 2gb of ram during a time when my other 2gb was being RMA'd. I can say that while running prime 95 my system was very unresponsive (obviously). However, when I put my other 2gb back in, for 4gb total, the responsiveness was there and It was noticeable. I could run prime 95 and the OS would act like there was no load what so ever. (note, using Aero).

I love Vista and I like the 64 bit variant for the memory but honestly if you already have Vista 32 with 2gb, you can still toss in another 2gb and use 3.5 gb total. There really is no reason to go Vista x64 if you already have 32, unless you need more than 4gb of ram, which for anything shy of video editing, you probably don't.

I've actually decided to go back to 32 bit. Again. Programs that don't work, shell extensions that aren't available, nothing gained by running 64 bit. It's a personal choice, and the issues are small, but I'd just rather not have them. I look forward to running it in the future, but I require these issues to be fixed first.

There is no difference between those 32 and 64 bit except 64 bit can use more ram?

There is no difference between those 32 and 64 bit except 64 bit can use more ram?

I wish it were that simple. 64 bit requires all drivers be 64 bit. Any system utilities and programs that contain drivers (virtual drive programs) have to be updated, some are still not. Shell extensions have to be updated. They are still missing on some programs. Search on this subject, you will find more reading than you have time for. ;)

DDR2 is so cheap that you might as well go 64 bit and have lots of ram. 2gb is soon going to be the new 1gb imo.

I haven't had any problems with x64 and I use my pc mainly for games.

2gb is soon going to be the new 1gb imo.
Some, like me, would argue that's already the case. Even in the business sense, anytime I order a new laptop for an employee, I get 2 GB. Not that most of these people do anything real intensive...just that it is hardly a cost difference over 1 GB, so why not?

32bit OS's are a good, solid, long-term investment, especially given the high cost of RAM these days.

</sarcasm>

x64 is less prone to system virus attacks as there are quite some major differences in the files used.

x64 seems to handle RAM vastly better too- I mean in terms of freeing RAM and such. x86 might require a reboot to redeem RAM while x64 gets it back and retains smoothness of the OS as a whole.

2GB-3GB is enough for the advantage to start showing.

most of the new game will work with 64 bit, right?
All you have to do is check around for each game you want to play. The Games For Windows logo supposedly means it has been tested to work on both VIsta platforms.

Both new games and old. Last week I installed Baldur's Gate and started a new play through. I have yet to come across a game that I can't play in 64, which leads me to wonder where this silly rumor of playing games in Vista 64-bit came from.

The only games I've tried that don't work on 64-bit Vista are some games in the Gametap library (specifically, the Sega Dreamcast games like Chu Chu Rocket). Fortunately I can still play them in OS X, but that is pretty disappointing and hopefully it gets fixed in a patch.

Otherwise I have had no problems, 64-bit all the way!

They sure will... You name the (recent) game and I've probably installed it. No issues for me, even with games like C&C 3 which technically doesn't support it.

Every single game I tried on x64 works fine.

Old games like Counter Strike 1.6 - New ones like Crysis run just fine. Also I would recommend getting the 64bit, especially if you like to keep your games open while aim'ing or working in photoshop etc, since it supports more memory.

Every single game I tried on x64 works fine.

Old games like Counter Strike 1.6 - New ones like Crysis run just fine. Also I would recommend getting the 64bit, especially if you like to keep your games open while aim'ing or working in photoshop etc, since it supports more memory.

Like I said, there are a few exceptions like some of the Gametap library (grr). Otherwise you'll be able to run most games just fine.

Back