Vista Ultimate 32 Bit - Long Install Times

ComputerBox34

[H]F Junkie
Recently got Vista Ultimate 32 Bit and really have no complaints other than the REALLY long time it takes to install any program. It can take 1-2 hours to install any simple program. This can't be normal, can it? Can somebody please explain?

The OS is on a new Lenovo x61 Tablet with reasonable specs - 2 GB, 2 GHZ intel dually. There is no hardware reason why it should be slow. I do have bitlocker enabled, could that be part of the problem?

maybe it's due to the fact that the hdd may run @ 5,400 rpms....?

No, bought a laptop that had a 7200 rpms for this specific reason. . .

Its not like the installer bar moves really slow, it just doesn't move at all for a while. After a half hour, the bar will go 3/4 of the way and then after another half hour, it will finish.

I don't know if Vista is limiting it some how but it looks like something is stopping it.

maybe it's due to the fact that the hdd may run @ 5,400 rpms....?

Huh, even if it did run at at 5400rpm it still shouldnt take 1-2 hours to install ANY program, clearly their is something wrong, what I dont know as I stopped using vista ages ago but I personally never ever had that problem with vista so I cant help but I am 100% positive that even if it was a 5400rpm drive it should only marginally take that little bit longer to install programs compared to a 7200rpm drive.

the 5,400rpm comment was just a thought.
Do you have a lot of process and resources running if you check Task mananger?

Have you tried disabling bitlocker to see if that cures the problem ?

I've got a Toshiba R25 Tablet PC with a Core Duo T2050 1.6GHz, 4GB RAM and a 200GB 7200RPM HD running Vista Ultimate 32bit and it runs great.

I don't have the install time problem that you're having, but I'm not running bitlocker, though I've not heard of it casuing a performance problem like this.

Does everything else seem responsive? In Task Manager, you should check for any CPU intensive problems.

Vista isn't so much a resource pig; it's simply got a lot more features than XP Pro. With Vista Ultimate you've got the tablet, media center, search, readyboost and Superfetch that aren't in XP. One thing that I did notice on my tablet is that if I has several IE browsers running, one of the IE instances would start to use a lot of CPU. I disabled the Phishing filter and that went away.

This tablet runs pretty well. The 4GB of RAM and 7200RPM made a pretty big difference. I have a lot development stuff on this tablet, SQL Server 2005, VS 2005 & 2008 and it works pretty well as a development machine. Not the fastest thing on the planet but its usually pretty speedy.

I can't say why you are experiencing such long install times. 1 to 2 hours for a simple install is definately not normal though. Is it all installs or just installs from a DVD/CD? It could be that something is wrong with the reader, or maybe the Hard Drive may have some issues. I'm just speculating though.

I had a crazy long load up time too on my vista IIRC.

From a problem I had on my laptop a while back: could your drive be in PIO mode?
http://club.cdfreaks.com/1712831-post6.html

That's my guess.

Don't forget to check both your hard drive and your CD-ROM to make sure they're not running in PIO mode. This will cause EXTREMELY slow data rates!

Make sure you have all the drivers installed for your hardware, too! It's possible something special is needed for whatever type of bus they used for the CD/DVD drive. It sounds like you installed Vista -- did you get all the proper chipset drivers installed?

You also might want to make sure your devices are at the latest firmware -- make sure to get both your Laptop and your CD/DVD Drive.

Good luck. While it can take a bit longer to install in vista, it's usually because you've got to approve the installation if you've got the security enabled -- just a couple of seconds. It should never take hours to install a simple program. That says to me you've got a problem getting data from one place to another on your machine.

Turned out to be some software that Lenovo loaded on. Apparently their recovery software was clashing with the Windows Recovery Software. This caused the long install times since Lenovo was trying to backup the software before it was even there.

Anyway, long story short is that I uninstalled it and the laptop is running fine w/bitlocker enabled.

Back