Vista Ultimate 32 Bit....278$? Link inside

If you have a windows xp disk in your possession, buying this is a way for you to throw away almost $30. Amazon sells the same software for $249.

regards

If you have a windows xp disk in your possession, buying this is a way for you to throw away almost $30. Amazon sells the same software for $249.

regards

Link?

According to Game PC... it is the Full Version. Not the Upgrade.

Amazon has the full verson for 380...

like I said, it is the SAME software. if you have a windows xp disk, you can legally install this OS for $249. Do you NOT have a windows XP disk? I would get clear on whether you need the full retail version of Vista.

regards

like I said, it is the SAME software. if you have a windows xp disk, you can legally install this OS for $249. Do you NOT have a windows XP disk? I would get clear on whether you need the full retail version of Vista.

regards

I think you have the upgrade from xp to vista idea wrong,

The upgrade IS the full version, but requires the disk from the previous OS to install.

Full retail would be needed only if you have no XP disk.

Another thing you're missing:

When you actually install the upgrade version over top of XP or even a clean install using XP as the upgrade disc, you're going to lose that version of XP from all accounts. It'll require you to put in the key for XP and after that, you won't be able to use that version of XP ever again. Think that's worth mentioning...

That's the whole point of the upgrade process and why the upgrade versions are cheaper: Microsoft is giving you a discount to move up to the new version; they won't let you keep using both OSes. If that's what you want, then buy the full version of whatever edition of Vista you're interested in.

linkage? everyone else has said you just need to put in an xp disk. no mention of putting the key in.

regards

Another thing you're missing:

When you actually install the upgrade version over top of XP or even a clean install using XP as the upgrade disc, you're going to lose that version of XP from all accounts. It'll require you to put in the key for XP and after that, you won't be able to use that version of XP ever again. Think that's worth mentioning...

That's the whole point of the upgrade process and why the upgrade versions are cheaper: Microsoft is giving you a discount to move up to the new version; they won't let you keep using both OSes. If that's what you want, then buy the full version of whatever edition of Vista you're interested in.

If the upgrade version works the way XP does, it's the same as the full version it just checks a previous disk durring install. No extra key. Hell, I have installed XP Pro and used a different copy of XP Pro as a "previous version". It's not rocket science, you just need to have a previous copy of windows from MS.

^ That's how the old versions worked. Never needed the old key, just the disk.

But, I won't say it hasn't changed, having no experience with it.

I will say that, they have to leave you an 'out' for 'downgrading' back to XP, so them blacklisting your XP key is unlikely, in my eyes.

-bZj

I will say that, they have to leave you an 'out' for 'downgrading' back to XP, so them blacklisting your XP key is unlikely, in my eyes.

-bZj
Well, I agree that it's unlikely but if you haven't noticed they are becoming really strict when it comes to keys and activation so I wouldn't rule it out totally. The 'out' would be not activating Vista until you are sure that it will stay on your system.

yeah the more I think about it the less sense it makes that they would render your old xp system inactive. how would you migrate stuff off it? and my understanding is that msft is going to be less restrictive with activation on vista not more (the algorithm). lots of fud out there to wade through.

regards

and my understanding is that msft is going to be less restrictive with activation on vista not more (the algorithm). lots of fud out there to wade through.

regards
Not just the algorith but the fact that volume license customers will have to activate as well. You either activate through an activation server which will most likely run as a service on a Windows 2003+ server or through Microsoft. The days of volume license windows not requiring activation is over with Vista and they will do the same with the rest of their products down the line.

^ That's how the old versions worked. Never needed the old key, just the disk.

But, I won't say it hasn't changed, having no experience with it.

-bZj
You can almost put money on it that it WILL be a call in thing, and even then, it will be on a case by case basis. The free upgrades state that they will be tied to the oem key of the os you upgrade from, and that the original key will be deactivated.

All this Vista confusion over retail/OEM/32-bit/64-bit is driving me nuts. GamePC's site as linked above says it's ONLY the 32-bit version advertised. I thought I read many moons ago that the retail boxed versions of Vista had BOTH the 32 and 64-bit DVD's in them. :confused:

Can you upgrade mutiple machines at home with teh upgrade, or just 1 machine?

All this Vista confusion over retail/OEM/32-bit/64-bit is driving me nuts. GamePC's site as linked above says it's ONLY the 32-bit version advertised. I thought I read many moons ago that the retail boxed versions of Vista had BOTH the 32 and 64-bit DVD's in them. :confused:
That was rc1. It came with both 32 and 64 bit discs.

I was a vista beta tester. The beta is NOT what I am talking about. I swear I read on the net somewhere that the retail boxed Vista product was going to have TWO DVD's, one with the 32-bit version, the other with the 64-bit version and that you could use either one. Sounds to me like that didn't make it to fruition.

Back